Unarmed fighting

Khulkhuum

Off to stirr more people in A17 Experimental :D Again, this is half irony and half a serious subject, so don't go too deep into this. Simply presenting something more productive to talk (or laugh) about.

Has anyone tried out unarmed fighting? Surely it's better to have a weapon, but considering all the addons to the damage from various perks, i have decided to check things out. Below are my short results.

1. With skills increased a bit you can punch regular zombies almost as well as some basic weapons or even better! They flinch, they get thrown onto the ground and even sometimes lose their heads for you!

2. Irradiated zombies are not immune to your punches! Decided to play with some sleepers and ram through a whole group, where half of them were irradiated cowboys. No sweat, i didn't have my skills up 100%, only halfway up...

3. Tried the horde, but sadly no success there. The sheer number of enemies punching on such a small target was too much. Didn't last long enough.

4. Explored various strange POIs for a few minutes. My flaming fists killed a regular cop before he exploded, but also got through a zombie bear! Not without damage that is, but still came out victorious! Brings new sense to "wrestling a bear" ;)

5. Not much can be done to increase damage, apart from having the spiked knuckles upgrade on gloves (i don't know if it works as intended though). Upping melee skills surely helps a lot.

My conclusion: WE NEED MORE UNARMED WEAPON MODS/WEAPONS!!!! As much as it's not Dark Souls where you can legitimately kill a lot of enemies with your fists (and some fist weapons later on), it brings a new sense of realism to the game. You can also punch left and right faster than many weapons, which brings your DPS high enough to take down even the irradiated enemies.

What are your experiences? After revising this information in 7DTD i do plan an unarmed playthrough when stable hits :D

I'd love to have more combat options, and unarmed/fist fighting seems like a good place to start. I know there's a mod for gloves to add spikes, which i'd presume increases damage, but i never got to add it to my armor. Being able to use a workbench for things like a cestus, claws, or even weighted boxing gloves would be great.

Not sure if most people know, but if you alternate hands during strikes, it is faster than holding down one button or the other. One-two combos make fists a little better without dramatically using more stamina, and the speed makes harvesting large crops like corn/potato/blueberry fields much better.

Offtopic, i'd love to see more weapons overall. Simple things like spears or quarterstaffs for range, farming scythes for lethality, etc. I know with this update Joel had said in one of his vids that they were going to be able to add tons more stuff, here's hoping some awesome weapons are on the list. :)

I'd love to have more combat options, and unarmed/fist fighting seems like a good place to start. I know there's a mod for gloves to add spikes, which i'd presume increases damage, but i never got to add it to my armor. Being able to use a workbench for things like a cestus, claws, or even weighted boxing gloves would be great.

Not sure if most people know, but if you alternate hands during strikes, it is faster than holding down one button or the other. One-two combos make fists a little better without dramatically using more stamina, and the speed makes harvesting large crops like corn/potato/blueberry fields much better.

Offtopic, i'd love to see more weapons overall. Simple things like spears or quarterstaffs for range, farming scythes for lethality, etc. I know with this update Joel had said in one of his vids that they were going to be able to add tons more stuff, here's hoping some awesome weapons are on the list. :)

Mini gun and duel wielding ak47s springs to mind and a flame thrower please.

OP haha I think I should just wack in a load of levels and go ape for a bit :)

punching is surprisingly effective, but melee in general is ideal when resources are scarce and manpower is limited.

I just wish it wasn't so damn slow. Grass doesn't punch itself and it just feels very awkward.

I think an inhalers should be in the game to counter the players asthma and emphysema for any kind of melee combat or running. I thought oxygen tank but damn hard to drag around with you!

Archived