Question about different melee weapons

Sjustus548

I've been playing for a few hours now and I have a few questions regarding melee weapons. I'm using mostly clubs right now and have gotten to where I can craft the "Fine" wooden clubs. I've noticed that besides Durability nothing has changed from the Faulty Wooden Clubs I could make at the start of the game. Also I've noticed that the Iron Reinforced Club is worse than the Wooden Club. Yes it has more durability but it requires Scrap Iron to repair compared to Wood and it also has a slightly slower swing speed. It has the exact same damage as the Wooden Club which. I've only found one weapon modification for melee weapons so far so I haven't been able to test those out to see if maybe those are the determining factor or not. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something or if this is how these melee weapons are meant to act?

I've been playing for a few hours now and I have a few questions regarding melee weapons. I'm using mostly clubs right now and have gotten to where I can craft the "Fine" wooden clubs. I've noticed that besides Durability nothing has changed from the Faulty Wooden Clubs I could make at the start of the game. Also I've noticed that the Iron Reinforced Club is worse than the Wooden Club. Yes it has more durability but it requires Scrap Iron to repair compared to Wood and it also has a slightly slower swing speed. It has the exact same damage as the Wooden Club which. I've only found one weapon modification for melee weapons so far so I haven't been able to test those out to see if maybe those are the determining factor or not. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something or if this is how these melee weapons are meant to act?

I don't think you are missing anything. I've only gotten a couple of mods, but all of them (including a dye!) have increases damage when I have applied them. Since higher quality weapons have more mod slots, that gives them a higher damage potential.

Also, I don't believe that the wood club can accept mods like the spiked club mod, which slots into the iron club.

I switched over to a sledgehammer after getting one from a tool crate. It definitely does more damage than the clubs (and attacks far slower). It can one shot standard zombies when I get a head hit.

Weapon damage is determined by Strength (melee) and Perception (ranged). It's further increased by each trees' Headshot perk (There is no headshot bonus without it!)

You can get one more damage boost from Hidden Strike, but it only works for ranged weapons, and it only works on the first strike (but it's a big bonus). It's useful for bow users, slightly less useful for firearms but operable. For melee, you can increase swing speed which can also help in combat, but I wouldn't take it if you're still running out of stamina in fights.

I suggest at least 1 point in each headshot multiplier just to get that 25% boost, whether you're going for a melee or ranged focused character.

Mods are rare and can improve performance, but the big factors any weapon are those two perks.

Archived