Melee is impossible with high ping.

Zarii

I honestly hate the sprint changes. Throughout the game i never had problems with learning the timing for melee hits and when i should sprint backwards to evade the hit on 210 ping with friends. Now with the changes and the slow walk back, i am unable to be in melee range attacking and helping with zombies unless i want over half my health gone. I hope this gets reverted or at least a mod comes out to change it back. Anyone else having issues with the slow walk backwards or strafing?

There does appear to be an issue with double-swinging, hopefully, that's some that gets fixed. As for the slow walk back, I've not had any issues, but to be fair, I am playing SP, so latency isn't an issue.

I would very much LIKE to see the slow backward walk remain, but it'll be up to the Pimps I guess to see if it's a real issue for MP.

Currently my friend and i are having to juggle aggro to get through without me taking damage. If its one on one and i hit and walk back instantly, due to the ping im still in range and get hit. Feels like the slow backward walk might need increasing a bit for leniency for higher pings.

Currently my friend and i are having to juggle aggro to get through without me taking damage. If its one on one and i hit and walk back instantly, due to the ping im still in range and get hit. Feels like the slow backward walk might need increasing a bit for leniency for higher pings.

At what sort of latency is this happening?

My ping tends to be around 200 when i play with my friend. Sometimes higher sometimes lower but around that number.

Yikes! 200 eh. Ok, yeah, could see that being a problem.

I'd suggest, if only as a test, start a quick local game with cheats on, give yourself equivalent weapons, spawn in some zombies and see how it plays out. Alternately, if you have access to a closer server (when I did play MP, the server we rented was in the same city, latency rarely ever higher than 30), and see how it goes.

At 200 (or above), there's going to be issues with melee I suspect - which is not to say that A17, being experimental still, hasn't possibly made them worse though.

Yikes! 200 eh. Ok, yeah, could see that being a problem.

I'd suggest, if only as a test, start a quick local game with cheats on, give yourself equivalent weapons, spawn in some zombies and see how it plays out. Alternately, if you have access to a closer server (when I did play MP, the server we rented was in the same city, latency rarely ever higher than 30), and see how it goes.

At 200 (or above), there's going to be issues with melee I suspect - which is not to say that A17, being experimental still, hasn't possibly made them worse though.

Yeah SP is perfectly fine i have no issue with evading the swinging arms. I was using a wood club so maybe when i get a weapon with longer reach it will be better. 200 ping is probably best i can get connecting to friends in the US, and if they connected to a server in my region they would have the same ping issues. I feel like buffing the backwards walk speed by maybe 15%-20% would alleviate the issue.

Yeah SP is perfectly fine i have no issue with evading the swinging arms. I was using a wood club so maybe when i get a weapon with longer reach it will be better. 200 ping is probably best i can get connecting to friends in the US, and if they connected to a server in my region they would have the same ping issues. I feel like buffing the backwards walk speed by maybe 15%-20% would alleviate the issue.

The problem though Zarii, is that the Pimps have to pick a middle ground that works best for most, unless they decide to put the speed into the XML's (assuming even in this case that they can).

If you're playing on a server half the world away say, latency is always going to be an issue for melee.

Hopefully any optimisations made to A17 as it moves through Experimental and then into Stable might help out some, but at 200+ latency, I doubt it'll ever feel as smooth as it does locally.

The problem though Zarii, is that the Pimps have to pick a middle ground that works best for most, unless they decide to put the speed into the XML's (assuming even in this case that they can).

If you're playing on a server half the world away say, latency is always going to be an issue for melee.

Hopefully any optimisations made to A17 as it moves through Experimental and then into Stable might help out some, but at 200+ latency, I doubt it'll ever feel as smooth as it does locally.

Oh i definitely understand about the melee and latency together, i just mean i never had issues with this game and melee until now due to how slow u walk back. Be good if they could find a middle ground which allows me to work with the lag.

Oh i definitely understand about the melee and latency together, i just mean i never had issues with this game and melee until now due to how slow u walk back. Be good if they could find a middle ground which allows me to work with the lag.

Hopefully they can, but they'd need to do it in such a way that it didn't (once again) trivialise melee combat in SP.

That's going to be a very fine line to walk I suspect.

I'm not sure this is even an issue they need to look at. When you have high ping there are going to be issues no matter what they do. If they adjust things to be easier at high pings it will make it so that those of use with low pings will have an easy time of everything :/

I honestly hate the sprint changes. Throughout the game i never had problems with learning the timing for melee hits and when i should sprint backwards to evade the hit on 210 ping with friends. Now with the changes and the slow walk back, i am unable to be in melee range attacking and helping with zombies unless i want over half my health gone. I hope this gets reverted or at least a mod comes out tochange it back. Anyone else having issues with the slow walk backwards or strafing?

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Playing on a ping like that is atrocious. I have only ever done it a couple of times, today was one of them, and the zombies literally teleported closer due to lag, I had to be extremely careful to avoid being hit.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Playing on a ping like that is atrocious. I have only ever done it a couple of times, today was one of them, and the zombies literally teleported closer due to lag, I had to be extremely careful to avoid being hit.

Back in the day I had to play games like Quake and BF1942 on a 56k modem and I was lucky to even have a 250ms ping. That was always what I looked for in the MP server browsers -- always trying to find anything under 250ms and I would be 'happy'. lol..

You're literally 1\4 of a second behind the server with that kind of latency.

Archived