Odd internet issue

nitnoid

Was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight into the matter (not incite :)

Recently, I've noticed that my web service goes away without notice for about 5-10 minutes. I cannot load any pages and when I troubleshoot, it says I am not connected to the internet. However, if I am in an online game, it continues to work. If I am streaming on Roku, it continues to stream. If I am also talking on Ventrilo, it never stops working and I can keep talking. Steam stops working during this period and I cannot launch a game if I'm not already playing. I purchased my own modem a year or so ago because I felt my isp was clamping my downloads (which never seems to happen anymore).

I have not called my isp about the issue because my connection seems to come back within about 5 or 10 minutes and it usually takes that long to connect with someone. Besides, in the past when I've lost my internet, they have told me everything seems to be working fine, even though none of my devices would connect.

Any ideas where to look? I am about ready to pull the plug with Spectrum and go with AT&T even though I am against using AT&T for past reasons. Thanks!

If you have a copper line for internet, check the ground wire to see if they grounded it properly and isn't corroded and messed up. A bad ground wire can do all kinds of random disconnecting related issues.

It's it only affects the browser, try ipconfig /flushdns command to clear browser history to see if that helps.

Steam does often get disconnected for 5 - 10 minutes at a time once in a while, but not too often. So this could be normal if it's just with Steam and not the browser.

And sorry, I didn't see your post before. Must have slipped through.

No problem and thank you. The roku keeps streaming and Ventrilo keeps working but tablet and phone cannot find the connection either. I just went ahead and ordered at&t fiber so we'll see what happens. I'll have to check that ground just in case anyway. Thank you!

Are you connecting directly to the Modem or is there a router you connect to and then the modem? Because it could just be a simple matter of resetting the router or modem... or worst case scenario, replace one of them.

Archived