Adding realism and complexity to bears.

Dimpy

I was reading the thread Repurposing A17 Vulture AI/etc? and realized bears are not that interesting right now, mindlessly attacking everything they see just like zombies. This is a zombie game, so I understand that some of the appeal comes from stupid enemies, but in general, diverse AI types make for a better game, and I think TFP can let that shine through with the animals.

Anyway, here's a first draft of what I want to see with the bear. I'm kind of iffy on 3 and 4, but though to include them anyway. Most of the changes focus around realism.

1. Can easily outrun the player (maybe on bike too)
  2. can climb
  3. can scavenge
  4. are capable of placing blocks, use it to build and fortify dens
  5. can be found as sleepers
  6. have massive stun chance bonus
  7. Are much less aggressive, instead using a complicated and interesting risk/reward judgement system.

What you you guys think?

I was reading the thread Repurposing A17 Vulture AI/etc? and realized bears are not that interesting right now, mindlessly attacking everything they see just like zombies. This is a zombie game, so I understand that some of the appeal comes from stupid enemies, but in general, diverse AI types make for a better game, and I think TFP can let that shine through with the animals.

Anyway, here's a first draft of what I want to see with the bear. I'm kind of iffy on 3 and 4, but though to include them anyway. Most of the changes focus around realism.

2. can climb
  3. can scavenge
  7. Are much less aggressive, instead using a complicated and interesting risk/reward judgement system.

What you you guys think?

Unless your charater is called Usain Bolt, yes I agree.
    Bears can run up to 55kmh.
  2. can climb
    This would be very difficult, not only motion wise.
    I doubt this will be fun for the game.
  3. can scavenge
    Why?
    Hell no. Did you ever see a bear build a house?
    I think this is already done in A17, I also saw vulture sleepers.
    Would make them ever more OP.
    Yes, I do agree about this.

2. can climb
  3. can scavenge

What you you guys think?

I agree with you as well, this would be rather cool.

Regarding the rest ones, I think pretty the same as iejen does.

yes I full heartedly agree, the bears need some more realism, I suggest adding a red t-shirt and a jar of honey.

I also suggest ٌumero eight! An amazing suggestion, if you will. Have you seen the movie "The Revenant", with Leonardo Di Caprio? We should be able to cut open bears, clean out their insides and stay warm inside their bodies!

1. 2. can climb
    This would be very difficult, not only motion wise.
    I doubt this will be fun for the game.
    3. can scavenge
    Why?
    Hell no. Did you ever see a bear build a house?

yes I full heartedly agree, the bears need some more realism, I suggest adding a red t-shirt and a jar of honey.

I mean, the Winnie the Pooh vibe was actually kind of where I was going with 3 and 4. Since playing Space Pirates and Zombies 2, I like the idea of having a creature that can do a lot of the same things that the player can do. I was thinking that bears could be a good substitute for the bandits in regards to filling that niche, and they could serve as practice for the devs in creating intractable intelligent-seeming entities.

As I said before, I'm iffy on those though.

Would make them ever more OP.

My explanation is that bears are relatively experienced and dexterous hunters when compared to zombies, so they would be a lot better at incapacitating prey. A lone zombie probably wouldn't even be able to get a scratch before getting stun-locked then ripped apart. Yes this will make them more powerful, but the extra threat this creates should be canceled out by '7'.

Archived