Random Crashes (Apparently With Doubled Game Process Instance?)

adriansnetlis

So a while ago I experience my first crash in the game. The game just froze, then exited. I wanted to keep playing so I decided to open it again. But during loading screen it got very laggy until it froze my computer forcing me to hard-reboot. Next time similar crash happened I looked at system monitor for running processes and found that there was still an instance of 7 Days to Die running which had almost completely filled my RAM (I had one 8GB stick back then), but had 0 CPU usage. I killed it and relaunched game and all was fine (of course that didn't fix the crashing). The next time the game crashed I quickly pressed Ctrl + Esc to bring up my system monitor and guess what I saw there! 2 instances of the game, both filling up over 8 GB of memory. One had CPU at disk sleep, other at nothing. Then one of them closed and the frozen game image disappeared, but the other one stayed there. I experience this specific type of crashes quite frequently. What are those crashes and is there a fix for them?

P. S. Interaction with traders seem to push the crashes to happen sooner, as is teleportation.

System specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (binary driver 396.45)

Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz

Teleportation means you aren't playing on the vanilla game. You should ask in the thread for the mod you are using, or seek support from an administrator of the server you are playing on.

I am playing vanilla, haven't installed any mods. Teleportation is on server which offers /sethome and /home commands. Anyways, this bug also occurs in singleplayer where I don't teleport.

• 2 weeks later...

After more testing it looks like this only happens in multiplayer and my memory failed me.

However, it happens in vanilla servers (those who aren't even in modded section). On some servers I can sometimes just log in, go outside, chop down a tree or dig something or search a container, walk a bit more and than all of a sudden it crashes like 5 minutes in. Very annoying.

Hi im playing with almost the same system but running ubuntu. Got only probs when using mods or modded servers with memory from time to time. Lowering the video settings helps. Vanilla is running fine meanwhile

• 1 month later...

I've got a very similar build except I'm on Manjaro with Kernel 4.18.12 and experience the same problem with my system that uses an AMD RX 580. It runs perfectly fine for the first 5-30 minutes then all of a sudden crashes, start the game up the problem repeats again. However, the third time it actually stays running for hours on end. It appears it has something to do with rendering which causes the game to crash. My crashes seem to occur when I'm moving very quickly, or I'm smacking something with a tool. All of this leads me to to believe it's probably driver related.

You should know that Linux gaming isn't nearly perfected yet. Drivers have a ton of problems with both optimisation and stability. Some games work great, others tend to act stupid. Try updating your kernel to the latest 4.18 build then reinstall your GPU driver and see if it resolves your problem.. you may also want to verify your game cache first. I typically run the game with "Use GLCore renderer" selected in the launcher.

Make sure you monitor your system resources also, if something is being hogged it may be a clue.

Also here's a hint for the FPS issues with lighting you were having: Turn off reflections and lower light quality.

Archived