Game Servers

jhejhe5

Been playing with friends for a long time and been encountering some issues with the game. Does anyone here knows a server hosting company that you can recommend? I've never tried a server before and would want to give it a try for smooth gaming experience. I don't know how to start and don't know if a server will keep my game settings etc? Help pls! :miserable:

Been playing with friends for a long time and been encountering some issues with the game. Does anyone here knows a server hosting company that you can recommend? I've never tried a server before and would want to give it a try for smooth gaming experience. I don't know how to start and don't know if a server will keep my game settings etc? Help pls! :miserable:

I have only used a couple of providers. At the moment I am using BlueFang Solutions. I am happy with the performance of the game. This game is still in development though, and defiantly needs some tweaking for you to have a complete "smooth" experience. Where the game is at right now you will experience some kind of lag, at different points of playing.. Also both providers I have used make changing things in the config really easy. And if there is problems with the server you are not happy about, maybe the support staff can assist you.

If you might be looking to just join a community, I have one with a good group of players to game with. PVE, password protected, 24/7. Let me know if your interested and we can talk further.

Hello jhejhe5!

Well I've been with a few providers: GameServers, BlueFang, one I can't remember but now I'm on Nitrado.

"We" have a group of 9 of us and I've been hosting our server for over a year now. It can be a lot of work! I have some background with electronics/computers/networks/programming/etc so it wasn't much of a learning curve for me. From a players perspective there isn't much difference from any other MP play. You jump on and play.

From the host/admin's perspective you have a lot of settings you can tweak but you have to invest more time not playing especially at first. But you can also be spending time if something goes wrong. But personally its great fun. You'll also have more programs to run, which isn't a problem but can be daunting at first, but well rewarding once you get the hang of things.

BlueFang is a great service, but that comes at a cost. The other one we were on for a bit wasn't that good. GameServers is/was Great! Especially when I noticed that they added Valmod, BiggerBackPack, Compo Pack to the list of mods they offered (but sadly those are the only ones at this time).

I've been testing Nitrado for almost a month now, I've loaded various mods with ease. I've ran into a couple of problems which are probably because I've been in a 'hurry' with trying to change mods and such. But you should take a look at it if you consider any hosting service.

All the services I've been with have their own 'interface' you can use. Generally its a web page where you can control various settings with the server/game. With GameServers to install Valmod and/or BiggerBackPack and/or Compo Pack its as simple as checking a box, clicking install, waiting for the system to install it. If I remember correctly with BlueFang - I believe you have to purchase the "Starvation" mod but then its a couple of clicks away to install it too! With most services installing 'other mods' that aren't on their list will require an upload of the mod to the server.

With Nitrado, BlueFang and GameServers I've experienced FAST and Excellent service!

OH! Loading the Vanilla Game with all services is again - only a few clicks away! That is good since you don't have to do it yourself! After that then its either another few clicks away to get the mod you want, or uploading the mod to the server. Then its 'tweaking' the server/game settings. Then you're ready to go.

You can add server managers if you want which can also expand the options on your server! "We" really don't need them but you can add options such as awarding players for total play time, giving them the ability to have a 'store' and such. Or 'teleport' options... There's a whole lot of things that can be added this way.

POSSIBLE BONUS: Nitrado has the ability to switch games you have on their/your server. Which is again - only a few clicks away assuming you've set that/those games up already. Here is the list. Many of the games on the list have mods under them so those apparently can be a few clicks away! Please note that some features necessary for some of those games may come at an additional cost. The biggest factor in server hosting is the number of player slots you want. IE: The number of players your server will allow at any given time.

So ultimately I'd suggest looking into services. Then checking out how to configure 'the server' settings and such. And then looking over mods you may want to have the ability to use and play.... Then maybe get a month sub with the service of your choice and jump in.

I don't think you had to purchase the Starvation mod, I think you had to pay for extra memory as Starvation mod put extra strain on the server. That is just going from my memory. (Which probably needs upgrading also :))

Archived