AI Pathfinding any update ?

1weektodie

Zombies follow as normal, but when I'm in a 3+ story building with no obstructions, some of them bash blocks and walk to the center then do nothing, others just stand at the wall idle even when I've set them all to feral and increased their aggro range to 1000+ blocks and FOV to 360 and infinite spawning. Some of them walk up the first flight of stairs then walk off the rail and fall down.

However if spawned in the open they instantly turn and tag me it's the buildings they have trouble with, small houses ok but when I go on the roof they just walk beneth me and do nothing they don't try and break blocks to get to me I need challenge I need AI pathfinding similar to WoW dungeons.

So basically you need them to walk back and forth mindlessly until you get close enough to trigger them, and then they follow you fast and direct with no behaviors other than attacking you. Which would work well in a game like WoW with no obstacles, doors, pits, floors that can hurt them or slow them down, ... WoW "pathfinding" really isn't very intelligent at all. It's pretty much zerg-rush

I can't say it's much different other than how much more complex 7 Days is with its fully destructible world and inherent uncertainty of there being a path where enemies can surely get to you. If it's that much of a problem, maybe you should act more 2-dimensional and stay on the floor out in the open where they can get to you. That should fix the challenge for you.

The game is a survival game, yet the player often seems to have to go against survival tactics, intelligence and simple common sense to create the "challenge", which kinda feels like it's failing in it's primary gameplay function. It should be a struggle to stay out of the way and defend yourself from the unfriendly AI, you shouldn't have to help them out to make it more interesting.

I agree with Tarman 100%

I do not think TFP have hired a programmer as of yet to deal with building challenging AI behaviour and pathing, at least not one that wouldn't tax your CPU 100% But I hope they do because when they introduce Bandit AI and Survivor NPCs it's going to be a problem, or hilarious. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Better AI Pathing would make this game so much more fun. Right now, with all the beautiful and large POI buildings, its easy to climb to the top of the building and the zombies can never get to you, even on blood moon nights. They just kind of run around in circles below you, breaking things, but never able to path their way to you.

With improved AI, the gameplay would be amazing and totally different than it is now. Looking forward to ANY news on AI.

Archived