DDOS attacks on servers

Obsessive Compulsive

Been seeing hacks and DDOS attacks across a few servers sadly. Not sure who or what or why. Doesnt really matter. It is defeating for themselves not the servers. Waste of time and bandwidth... Makes you look like the dumb kid that fights a pinball machine because it ate their quarter... pushes players to not play the game period. If the intention is to get people to join a different server, it literally makes no sense what so ever and have yet to see it do anything.

Anyways, its really funny to watch. Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself...

have yet to see it do anything.

Well, if anything, it led you to make this thread to share your frustration. On a serious note, there are some new, sophisticated and effective methods for this kind of attack. It doesn't really have to be that hard to perform. I'm not a hacker, but I thought I would just point this out because people think that it's something very hard to do. If it was so hard to do, hackers wouldn't do it so often. Also the claim that it's defeating for themselves not the servers is not exactly true. Servers and bandwidth always suffer from unusually strong hits and someone always has to pay for that in one way or another.

I am not frustrated, just giving the community a heads up about ddos attacks. Not my server. At best and worst, people just play a different game.

I can understand your points. Appreciate the input.

I would note though that many big hosts will laugh at the ddos attacks. There is also software based ddos routers that drop the useless data much faster than most ddos will ever reach unless a well orchestrated attack.

For my friends server as an example, we use mitigation techniques and if being attacked, the current ips will get their data while new ones do not so they would have to push an insane amount through one source and then it mitigates again by dropping packets over certain sizes and too many at once through simultaneous connection. There are also companies that solely do this and forward the clean data to clients so again in many cases its just a weird thing. It either does nothing or they are attacking smaller server owners who just go play another game.

I guess it depends who is getting attacked. Anyways, just giving a heads up. Look up some anti ddos software if you are having trouble with your server. It can help regulate network congestion in general which is always good. You might also catch something running that shouldn't be.

• 3 weeks later...

DDOS protection is not related to this game only, it happens to most of the games running on internet servers.Best protection is to use a rented dedicated server.There are also routers/equipment with ddos protection, but is way more expensive.Or, just play with friends only.Game developers can't do much on this matter.

Archived