Windows SMP to Linux server

Hi there,

As the title says, I want to transfer my Windows 10 survival multiplayer save to a Linux server.

I have done this successfully in the past. However, I don't seem to be able to get it running anymore.

So I must be missing something. (or is it no longer working?)

So here is what I did so far.

Installed steamcmd on Linux Ubuntu.

Changed force_install_dir to /home/7daystodie

installed 7daystodie server files (app_install 294420)

Joined the server once, and after this shut it down and change the "game name" (seed) to insanity

Went to my Windows 10 PC

And copied the content of the save file from this location.

C:\Users\Carbonawk\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\Random Gen\insanity

To

/home/7daystodie/data/worlds/random gen

After doing this and I join the server I don't seem to land on that map.

Can anyone help me with this and tell me what I might be doing wrong?

ps I changed permissions.

I don't remember the default server save game path, but I always specify it in serverconfig.xml:

<property name="SaveGameFolder" value="/home/sd/save" /> <!-- use this to override the default save game path -->

Then I put my save game in /home/sd/save/Random Gen/<seed name>

Make sure you have privileges set correctly! Winbloze doesn't care much, Linux does. If you copy the files with one account and run the server under another, the account the server is running might not have privileges to read/write the files.

You probably know this, but with Linux, file names are Case Sensitive. The directory name must exactly match the seed name.

Look in your save game directory under Ramdom Gen and see if some other directory was created instead - if the seed case is off or for some reason not being used, you should see some other directory. Make sure you don't have:

insanity

Insanity

Linux will very happily allow both of those to exist, and they will be completely different games.

Make sure your startup script properly references you config file. I put this at the top of the script so I don't have to pass it as a parameter:

CONFIGFILE=serverconfig.xml

Hi there,

As the title says, I want to transfer my Windows 10 survival multiplayer save to a Linux server.

I have done this successfully in the past. However, I don't seem to be able to get it running anymore.

So I must be missing something. (or is it no longer working?)

So here is what I did so far.

Installed steamcmd on Linux Ubuntu.

Changed force_install_dir to /home/7daystodie

installed 7daystodie server files (app_install 294420)

Joined the server once, and after this shut it down and change the "game name" (seed) to insanity

Went to my Windows 10 PC

And copied the content of the save file from this location.

C:\Users\Carbonawk\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\Random Gen\insanity

To

/home/7daystodie/data/worlds/random gen

After doing this and I join the server I don't seem to land on that map.

Can anyone help me with this and tell me what I might be doing wrong?

ps I changed permissions.

Could you post the output log?

My bet is that it's not configured for the right save location.

Thanks for the support both of you. I changed the save location and put my backup file into it and that made me able to play on my backup file.

Still, I am wondering why I am not able to use the default location.

Here is the file anyways.

[ATTACH]23760[/ATTACH]

output_log__2018-01-14__17-43-49.txt

Server startup shows your save game folder as "/root/.local/share/7DaysToDie/Saves/..."

Folder you are attempting to use is "/home/7daystodie/data/worlds/random gen"

Which makes me think of something else. You might be trying to use a folder I wouldn't recommend. Did you just drop the game engine into the Root of the user folder?

You default path setup should be similar to this...

Game Engine "/home/USER/engine"

Saves Folder "/home/USER/saves" (If you're using Allocs server scripts it's "instances" instead of saves.)

Then you'll want to edit the folder path for the save location in the config.xml. (don't forget to un-comment it either.)

Server startup shows your save game folder as "/root/.local/share/7DaysToDie/Saves/..."

Folder you are attempting to use is "/home/7daystodie/data/worlds/random gen"

Which makes me think of something else. You might be trying to use a folder I wouldn't recommend. Did you just drop the game engine into the Root of the user folder?

You default path setup should be similar to this...

Game Engine "/home/USER/engine"

Saves Folder "/home/USER/saves" (If you're using Allocs server scripts it's "instances" instead of saves.)

Then you'll want to edit the folder path for the save location in the config.xml. (don't forget to un-comment it either.)

Aaah I see, no that's just old data I used to have there from a previous install appereantly.(I can tell by folder names) I have never manually dropped anything in there as far as I can remember. I always have it hidden and use the home folder.

I can see why that's concerning to most, however, I don't have ANY sensitive data on it. It's just a server for messing around etc... Yet I got backups of it lol.

I still wonder why it went there though lol.

I do not use allocs. Just never had the need for anything else but the essential.

Anyhow, I got it resolved using the worlds as I wanted them too.

[ATTACH]23767[/ATTACH]

^ jay it works :D

Thanks for the help!

output_log__2018-01-14__21-53-33.txt

Archived