Question MD5 error: When does it happen

RichieSaps

Guys, when do MD5 errors occur.

Is it when you are currently playing the game and come back to your base and find its gone/altered.

Or does it happen when you load up a save and it has changed.

I have been very lucky as I have been playing this great game since issue and not once has it crashed or reset. I only play a few hours each time so that may be the reason for no crashes.

I started a new default map after both of the Summer updates.

When I finish for the session I save the game and then fully quit the game and I have the XBox on full shutdown.

This weekend I booted the box and started the game and loaded up. I then found myself on top of my reset base and have lost everything. Is this an MD5 error.

BTW this won't stop me playing the game. I just started a new map and playing slightly differently and starting a base from scratch and not adapting a POI.

Normally MD5's happen during crashes, as they are a result of corrupted saves. This doesn't sound like the case with you. The fact that you only play for relatively short periods at a time plus you completely shut down between sessions has probably helped avoid them. There is an unofficial work around that involves deleting your local save but this is as described, unofficial. A quick search of the forums will give you the exact procedure but this only works if done immediately after the md5 error and before the game has a chance to save the rewrite to the cloud.

In my experience, all my MD5's were preceded by a UI flicker(usually an inventory menu would come up but not display properly) followed by a crash. When that happens I immediately go to the manage games menu and delete the local save, then restart the game and it will sync from the cloud and load up the last cloud save (usually losing only a few minutes of game play).

It has worked for me so far. I am certain had I not done it, I would have had rewrites (I've seen enough of them to recognize them as they happen.)

In your case, it might have still worked, but only if done as soon as you saw the problem. The game saves to the cloud regularly, and once it does that, the rewrite is permanent. I'm not sure how often the game saves to the cloud, but the loss of time when I have done it leads me to believe it is every few minutes.

That being said, I am glad to hear you are not put off by this. It is a problem the Dev's are hard at work on, but it has proved to be a difficult task due to the many possible causes. Any information you could pass on would be appreciated, as it very well could lead to them finding and fixing another trigger. I'm not real computer savvy, but there is a link somewhere in the forums to show the format of what is needed. Basically, all your game settings, what system you were using, what you were doing when it happened, and any unusual things that occurred (like did your game freeze up, or did a menu not display correctly etc. Any bit of information you can give might very well lead to the Dev's finding a fix.

Once again, thanks for your comments and your support of the game. Any information you are willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

This weekend I booted the box and started the game and loaded up. I then found myself on top of my reset base and have lost everything. Is this an MD5 error.

Yep, that's it, though I'm not sure how common it is to get an MD5 after a successful, normal quit-and-shutdown. You definitely should put a bug report into the Bug Reports section. Read Clare's sticky post about what information to include in your report.

Most MD5s occur after a crash. So you're whacking zombies, stealin' their loot, and the game crashes to the desktop. Start the game back up, load the world, and >poof< part of the world has been reset.

Current wisdom is that if you have a crash on Xbox, deleting the local save file (Manage Game -> select the file with your Gamertag, not the "reserved space" file -> delete from console only) and thereby forcing the game to sync from the cloud will prevent MD5s. The evidence is the same evidence that I have that this rock on my desk protects me from tiger attacks, but hey...it's easy to do and it probably can't hurt. It is in fact the best current solution for MD5s...until it fails and then it will be stupid. :-)

Note that MD5s can happen anywhere in the world; it doesn't just affect bases or just POIs or just anything. Given that you apparently had an MD5 without a crash, for all I know a patch of desert 2000m away from my base reset last night when I quit the game. Too bad, because there was a cactus out there I really liked.

• 5 months later...

MD5

I noticed it happens behind me. Every time there's a flicker then it crashes and even sometimes your inventory menus or what ever you are looting, you get a frame but no items and what ever blocks that were behind me in a square radius disappear and the land is reset.

I noticed it happens behind me. Every time there's a flicker then it crashes and even sometimes your inventory menus or what ever you are looting, you get a frame but no items and what ever blocks that were behind me in a square radius disappear and the land is reset.

That's a good observation, and it holds true for the MD5 crash that hit me and my wife last night. Everything in a square area behind me (with me at a corner of the square) was reset. Basically everything behind me and to my right. Luckily our storage boxes were behind me and to the left, so they were unaffected. We did lose our workbench and chem station though. Also luckily we had enough mechanical parts stashed to replace the workbench, so it wasn't the tragedy it could have been.

ETA: And Lockspur, just so you know, I did immediately delete my local save after the crash... but it didn't prevent the MD5 when we logged back in.

Archived