Skill idea: quick switch

ungkor

I feel like we need a later game skill that allows you to switch items on your toolbar faster.   Half the time I end up dying, is because I can't switch to X weapon fast enough.   I get that most of the game challenge comes from that delay in switching, but it sure seems like an easy hanging fruit fix, allowing folks to feel "OP" while you design more content and release challenges.  

Side note:   Please design more content and more end game goals, and stop tweaking skills and settings.

2 hours ago, ungkor said:

Half the time I end up dying, is because I can't switch to X weapon fast enough.

While I don't question your experience; the game doesn't seem to force that on the player. You can basically always "buy more time" in advance, by positioning further back or some such. Just don't take the death-drop bait and you don't need to swap in a rush.

Considering there is already a quick swap option for the last used item on your toolbelt, I think the most you'll see is some tweaking of that option.  I don't even use it because it's easy enough to just select the new weapon or item quickly.  If you're on PC and using the mousewheel instead of a number key to switch items, you are probably slowing yourself down a lot.  And if you're on console, well... controllers are a pain (my personal opinion, of course).

As far as content... this game is nearing the end of its development.  Just about the only new content and end game stuff that will be added are in the roadmap that they provided.  Everything else will be optimizations and adjustments to fine tune everything for the final release.

11 hours ago, ungkor said:

I feel like we need a later game skill that allows you to switch items on your toolbar faster.   Half the time I end up dying, is because I can't switch to X weapon fast enough.   I get that most of the game challenge comes from that delay in switching, but it sure seems like an easy hanging fruit fix, allowing folks to feel "OP" while you design more content and release challenges.  

Side note:   Please design more content and more end game goals, and stop tweaking skills and settings.

Just to double check, are you just trying to use the toolbar at the bottom, or do you use the item wheel? 
Also, do you make use of the “previous item” button?

19 hours ago, ungkor said:

I agree. On console the hotbar isn't designed to be quickly switched easily. The "quick select wheel" stops you from moving while using it, and it requires holding a button rather than pressing a button. The previous item button (d-pad left) is only useful if the last item is something you need, which usually isn't the case.

I think they should just allow each hotbar space to be assignable to a button. Myself, I'd overwrite some d-pad functionality just for this.

Edited by Abnormal Zombie (see edit history)

14 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Just to double check, are you just trying to use the toolbar at the bottom, or do you use the item wheel? 
Also, do you make use of the “previous item” button?

Both, and all of the above.   I'm talking about the time it takes, even using hotkeys.  There is a delay before an activated item is ready.    Just like there is a delay when reloading a gun.   I just think it would be an interesting late game idea, maybe in the ability tree, to reduce the time it takes to switch items.  

For instance, if you could instantly reload the double barrel shotgun, that would be OP.   That long reload delay is intentional, otherwise it would basically be a shotgun machine gun.   I'm talking about those sort of item switching delays in general.

In a fight, switching to a bandage, and then back to a weapon, can take a couple seconds.   I just thought it would be interesting to see if that time could be reduced, as a perk. 

2 hours ago, ungkor said:

Both, and all of the above.   I'm talking about the time it takes, even using hotkeys.  There is a delay before an activated item is ready.    Just like there is a delay when reloading a gun.   I just think it would be an interesting late game idea, maybe in the ability tree, to reduce the time it takes to switch items.  

For instance, if you could instantly reload the double barrel shotgun, that would be OP.   That long reload delay is intentional, otherwise it would basically be a shotgun machine gun.   I'm talking about those sort of item switching delays in general.

In a fight, switching to a bandage, and then back to a weapon, can take a couple seconds.   I just thought it would be interesting to see if that time could be reduced, as a perk. 

I could maybe see it as either a perk, or one of the special perk magazines. 

honestly a new set of them that have to do with weapon handling as a whole might be nice.

7 hours ago, ungkor said:

Maybe a perk to somewhat reduce swap times, but the delay makes sense.  You can't just be shooting something one second and drop the weapon and grab a bandage in a split second and then have your gun back up a split second after applying a bandage.  It takes time to do that.  I'm not someone who looks for realism everywhere in games, but some things should just make sense.  Instantly swapping items doesn't.

When it comes down to it, if you are dying because you don't have time to apply a bandage, then you need to rethink how you're fighting.  I don't even put bandages on my toolbelt.  If I need them, I open my inventory to use them.

On 9/14/2024 at 5:55 PM, Riamus said:

If you're on PC and using the mousewheel instead of a number key to switch items, you are probably slowing yourself down a lot.

I usually combine both methods. My main weapon is on "1", my secondary on "2" and "3". If I need to quickly turn on a weapon, I use the number buttons, and if I need a tool, then usually the mouse wheel.