Wasted Block Space

peanuttyputty

I'm wondering if there's a way that a mod (if it doesn't already exist) or the dev's can fix the block building issue. I love this game and I love building however, the 'customized' block feature is both great and frustrating as a 0.6cm block take up the equivalent of a full sized block rendering the rest of that space unavailable and useless.  I've been playing this game for 5+ years and have yet to figure out how to remedy this except to constantly scrap my building process because a single block as caused a fatal flaw. Ugh! I would would be so happy if the blocks were accurate to their size T_T

4 hours ago, peanuttyputty said:

I'm wondering if there's a way that a mod (if it doesn't already exist) or the dev's can fix the block building issue. I love this game and I love building however, the 'customized' block feature is both great and frustrating as a 0.6cm block take up the equivalent of a full sized block rendering the rest of that space unavailable and useless.  I've been playing this game for 5+ years and have yet to figure out how to remedy this except to constantly scrap my building process because a single block as caused a fatal flaw. Ugh! I would would be so happy if the blocks were accurate to their size T_T

A voxel game is like that.  1 block takes up the full space even if a partial block.  There are some workarounds that can be done, such as placing an offset block so it appears to take up space in the partial block, but it instead takes up space offset from that (usually 1 block out from it).  Sink inserts are like that.  You can make your own offset blocks if you want in a mod.  The other workaround is what you can see with certain things like TVs, where you can have it drop to the surface of something even if it's not a full block height.  You should be able to use the same property that does it on those on a custom block that you want to do this, but you'd have to have a custom block for every type of block you want to drop like that.  It can't just be done on everything.

That's about the limit of what you'll ever get in a voxel game like this.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to alter some blocks to be freely placed as opposed to voxel. I'm ok with building blocks staying fixed to the voxel grid, but it would be interesting if things like decor blocks, traps and workstations could be freely placed and rotated. You can already do that with vehicles, but I'm not sure what constraints actual blocks have that would make that difficult. Maybe it would be harder to keep track of their positions since there'd be more of them? You see other games that allow this, but those aren't voxel worlds.

those partial blocks give you full stability.  many of them have full hit points as well.   I'm not sure what the issue is that you are complaining about.

Now there area bunch of blocks that can have another block placed over them, such as the road line blocks, but they are deleted from the world when you do that.

21 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

I've always wondered if it would be possible to alter some blocks to be freely placed as opposed to voxel. I'm ok with building blocks staying fixed to the voxel grid, but it would be interesting if things like decor blocks, traps and workstations could be freely placed and rotated. You can already do that with vehicles, but I'm not sure what constraints actual blocks have that would make that difficult. Maybe it would be harder to keep track of their positions since there'd be more of them? You see other games that allow this, but those aren't voxel worlds.

Like I mentioned, some have a property that lets them "drop" onto a surface instead of being stuck to the voxel space (TVs, for example).  You can make some custom blocks that do the same thing.  You'd need to look at what that property is if you wanted to use it on something.

On 8/28/2024 at 10:44 AM, Javabean867 said:

those partial blocks give you full stability.  many of them have full hit points as well.   I'm not sure what the issue is that you are complaining about.

Now there area bunch of blocks that can have another block placed over them, such as the road line blocks, but they are deleted from the world when you do that.

I think the issue is aesthetic, not functional. Yes, they function perfectly well, but the fact that you can't place another object within that space makes it appear as wasted space. 

I might have missed any specific screen shots, but i'm curious what you are looking at?

I'm usually not too concerned with the aesthetics, but i get why people care.  I get myself frustrated because i have a hard time finding the pieces that fit where i want them, so i usually just have very blocky buildings.

It's unfortunate, but it's the way of a voxel-based game. We could allow overlapping like Valheim does, but Valheim doesn't exactly have any sort of tower/base defense that we do and don't have to worry about balancing. If we allowed it, it would completely throw balance out the window when it comes to horde nights. Plus, things would get pretty ugly fast with z-fighting.