Untying Weapon Perks from Attributes Can Enhance Player Experience!

Hey guys,

Today I was watching a big YouTuber (Aculite with over 1 million subscribers) streaming 7D2D for the first time, and he was deciding which build to choose. He wanted to go for a Bow + Spear build but was a little disappointed when he found out that choosing an "Agility Weapon" and a "Perception Weapon" would slow down his progress, as he would have to divide his points between the Agility and Perception attributes.

I share this feeling with Aculite and believe it would be great for the game if all melee and ranged weapons were either under the same attribute or not tied to any attribute at all. This way, we as players could create a variety of builds (like a Stealth-Rifle build or Spear-Shotgun) without hindering our progress.

This is not the only game that requires you to put points into different trees to get benefits from different weapons.  There is nothing wrong with having to split points up if you want different skills that what are available from one tree.  Besides, you can still be good with weapons you are not perked into, unlike many other games that often won't even let you use the weapon if you aren't skilled in it.  This game also allows you to get enough points to unlock every single perk of you want to. 

Yes, it is slower to split things up, but that isn't really a big deal.  You level up very quickly in this game in the early levels.

52 minutes ago, Riamus said:

This is not the only game that requires you to put points into different trees to get benefits from different weapons.  There is nothing wrong with having to split points up if you want different skills that what are available from one tree.  Besides, you can still be good with weapons you are not perked into, unlike many other games that often won't even let you use the weapon if you aren't skilled in it.  This game also allows you to get enough points to unlock every single perk of you want to. 

Yes, it is slower to split things up, but that isn't really a big deal.  You level up very quickly in this game in the early levels.

Hey Riamus, thanks for your response!

I'm not trying to compare games here—you're right that many games require investing points into different skill trees, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

I've played 170 hours of 7D2D myself, but I know plenty of folks who just want to unwind on weekends and create a fun build without spending extra hours leveling up.

Moreover, the change I suggested wouldn't impact your gameplay at all, so I see it as a win-win for everyone: it gives a portion of the players what they want without affecting the experience of others.

13 minutes ago, BrazillianGuy said:

Hey Riamus, thanks for your response!

I'm not trying to compare games here—you're right that many games require investing points into different skill trees, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

I've played 170 hours of 7D2D myself, but I know plenty of folks who just want to unwind on weekends and create a fun build without spending extra hours leveling up.

Moreover, the change I suggested wouldn't impact your gameplay at all, so I see it as a win-win for everyone: it gives a portion of the players what they want without affecting the experience of others.

It is unlikely that they'll change this.  They want each tree to have specific weapon builds.  As mentioned, you can do just fine without even putting points into a weapon.  No, it's not as efficient, but it works well enough.  There just really isn't any reason to change that.  The game is in the last stages of development.  A change like that would have happened long ago if they wanted it.

And for people who want a relaxed game, that's what Creative Mode is for.  Give yourself quest completion tokens and equipment and whatever else you want.  Don't want to spend time leveling up?  Give yourself experience with a console command.  You can basically start day 1 at level 100 or higher with all those perk points and all Q6 equipment if you really want to.

11 hours ago, BrazillianGuy said:

May I suggest adding a mod that gives 2 skill points per level instead of 1? This solution will make it much easier to spread your skill points and play casually.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jdm311 said:

May I suggest adding a mod that gives 2 skill points per level instead of 1? This solution will make it much easier to spread your skill points and play casually.

Hey jdm311,

I was seeing some of your ideas yesterday and loved almost all of them!

I have a mod that changes the perk/skill system, but unfortunately all the mods I know aren't compatible with multiplayer.

Thanks for the idea anyway!

Edited by BrazillianGuy (see edit history)