New Controller Controls (FEEDBACK)

5 minutes ago, Plut said:

MacBook Pro, PS4 Controller, I used to be able to scroll thru my tool belt by using L1 or R1 now I have to hold down L1 or R1, then use L3 or R3 to rotate to the item.  This make the game unplayable when you in a heated moment. Also while you in your backpack it takes for every to get the items out of it. Please put controller commands back for PS4. 

They literally made the UI slower and less smooth, which should never, ever be the goal from a user experience perspective. Everything should be optimized to utilize as few buttons as possible, this is the most basic user interface design concept and I don't get why they would deviate from it to create an interface that actively slows down and fights the user compared with the old one. Simplification and optimization are two of the core concepts of UX, and they somehow decided no, let's make things harder

I’m glad the cursor is back but the triangle to hold sucks but I just use the cursor to bypass the triangle to hold…

however equipping items used to be a single directional up action but because it’s used for scrolling the window it doesn’t equip items.

i hope they change it back but Im not sure they put those changes in for cross platform reasons…

15 hours ago, Fugazi70 said:

i hope they change it back but Im not sure they put those changes in for cross platform reasons…

I think this is why they jacked up the controls. PC players should have a setting to use the old scheme. 

Call me old, but I honestly can't remember what the controls were before 1.0. 

I immediately missed the cursor which I'm so thankful they returned, but the other functions is what I can't remember. 

I know it wasn't hold triangle then push the directional button, which I am admittedly getting used to. 

Did we just push a direction before after clicking on it with the cursor? Like right was scrap, left was use, up was wear (I think) and I forget what down was, maybe mod or something. 

I'm still not a huge fan of the vehicle controls either but again getting used to it. R1 is the booster now, not a fan.

9 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Did we just push a direction before after clicking on it with the cursor?

I'm still not a huge fan of the vehicle controls either but again getting used to it. R1 is the booster now, not a fan.

We used to press <Y> / <triangle> once to activate the item. Then we could press what we wanted to do. Now we have to keep holding <Y> for unexplainable reasons.

I have no complains about vehicle controls since they gave us the option to customize our layout. I believe we can set it back to how it was in A21 (almost). Now zoom is <up/down>, whereas before <down> was change steering mode.

13 minutes ago, weldabar said:

We used to press <Y> / <triangle> once to activate the item. Then we could press what we wanted to do. Now we have to keep holding <Y> for unexplainable reasons.

I have no complains about vehicle controls since they gave us the option to customize our layout. I believe we can set it back to how it was in A21 (almost). Now zoom is <up/down>, whereas before <down> was change steering mode.

Ah ok, yeah that sounds right about the controls. 

Shoot I didn't realize we could change the controls for vehicles. Thanks for the info.

8 hours ago, weldabar said:

Why does no one understand why you have to hold triangle now? It's pretty obvious - with the removal of the cursor you navigate the menu with the directionals now... so obviously you can't also simply press a directional to craft etc... that would cause you to change your selected item. What they could have done instead though was let you select an item, use directionals to craft etc. like before, and then cancel the selection with another input, no need to hold triangle. (although admittedly I haven't played since the update so maybe that idea's not that much better than holding triangle the whole time)

Which also makes it confusing why you would still have to hold triangle now that they've apparently added the cursor back. They're really botching this and not taking the controller scheme seriously.

Edited by sturmgeist (see edit history)

Full release tomorrow, controls are still broken and no word from tfp about the triangle thing or dpad. Uninstalling, I’m done with this @%$#. Thanks The Fun Morons. Ban me, I don’t care, I’m moving on. What a bunch of clowns.

Edited by Ken7 (see edit history)

On 7/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, Plut said:

MacBook Pro, PS4 Controller, I used to be able to scroll thru my tool belt by using L1 or R1 now I have to hold down L1 or R1, then use L3 or R3 to rotate to the item.  This make the game unplayable when you in a heated moment. Also while you in your backpack it takes for every to get the items out of it. Please put controller commands back for PS4. 

Thank you for adding the cursor back but still hard to select a weapon or item on your tool belt. Please allow the old PS4 command back where you can use L1 or R1 to scroll on your toolbelt.

In a few hours, stable version 1.0 will be released, and the controller system is still miserable even though the cursor is back. I still think they should enable an option to use the controller system from alpha 21.

7 minutes ago, jesumego said:

In a few hours, stable version 1.0 will be released, and the controller system is still miserable even though the cursor is back. I still think they should enable an option to use the controller system from alpha 21.

If there isn't a major change tomorrow that's the end of the game for me.

10 hours ago, darkodin said:

Si no hay un cambio importante mañana, para mí será el final del juego.

Well it's out now and I was hoping they'd include a switch to select the old control scheme, or even bring it back. It's not a matter of lack of habit, it just ruins the experience. Some people change the control layout via player settings on steam. I find it depressing that it has to be the players who save the game. I uninstall the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I find myself coming back to this post, basically on the daily.

Tried the game on many occasions but can't enjoy it lately.

I feel like I have to hold a button 40% of the time.         (Y/Triangle or <dpad)

You want me to spend time in game, then please don't waste mine. 

In all seriousness, I'm sure team has some analytics or something like that for button presses while playing their game.

What percentage of your controller based gameplay is spent holding a button down for no reason?

Edited by ApokRi
Structure, Clarification (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, NukemDed said:

have we all discovered yet that if we open via steam we can customise the controller? it was massive for me to get the b and x around the proper way again.

It's not the order of buttons that is frustrating me, but rather the sluggish new control scheme that requires holding of buttons to do basic tasks, prolonging processes that took an instant before. I've put hundreds of hours into this game and it's sad that for me it is just unplayable at this point

23 minutes ago, emjay said:

It's not the order of buttons that is frustrating me, but rather the sluggish new control scheme that requires holding of buttons to do basic tasks, prolonging processes that took an instant before. I've put hundreds of hours into this game and it's sad that for me it is just unplayable at this point

I skip the buttons 90% of the time and just use the cursor. It’s not as good as before but I’ve overcome the issue

On 7/24/2024 at 9:10 PM, Ken7 said:

Full release tomorrow, controls are still broken and no word from tfp about the triangle thing or dpad. 

I was under the impression the console version (and its controls) were developed by another company. Was it not? If so, the feedback would have to get to them first and, maybe, be changed in a far future update.

4 hours ago, NukemDed said:

have we all discovered yet that if we open via steam we can customise the controller? it was massive for me to get the b and x around the proper way again.

Can't you accomplish that more easily in-game? That's how I switched mine back. Maybe you're doing something other than what I'm thinking.