onscreen sprites.....

not a fan of all the handholding going on in 7d2d have been looking for mod to remove all the onscreen trash sprites... i found one going back to a19 is that mod still viable..

comments are closed on it so feedback a bit diff....  any  ((helpful)) suggestions would be great thanks

On 4/13/2024 at 10:52 PM, onovbuton said:

not a fan of all the handholding going on in 7d2d have been looking for mod to remove all the onscreen trash sprites... i found one going back to a19 is that mod still viable..

comments are closed on it so feedback a bit diff....  any  ((helpful)) suggestions would be great thanks

You just need to remove certain parts of the quest code to remove the helpful icons

<modifier type="TrackBlocks">
                <property name="block_index_name" value="quest_wood"/>
                <property name="nav_object" value="quest_resource"/>
                <property name="track_distance" value="20"/>
            </modifier>

If the mod still removes those, then it should work.

lol... "" helpful icons""    you got me pmsl... helpful to children and adults not capable of thinking for themselves or simply looking at the compass where they are already there...  we have a name for it...  its called yellow paint syndrome...  screen trash is screen trash ...like enemy health bars...     Immersion is king...  5282hrs played... 

8 hours ago, onovbuton said:

lol... "" helpful icons""    you got me pmsl... helpful to children and adults not capable of thinking for themselves or simply looking at the compass where they are already there...  we have a name for it...  its called yellow paint syndrome...  screen trash is screen trash ...like enemy health bars...     Immersion is king...  5282hrs played... 

Remove them if you don't want them.  Cancel the quest even.  Not sure why you have to be so vitriol on this....and who the hell cares on how many hours you played.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If your still looking for a mod to remove on screen sprites you can use w00kien00kie's mod - https://7daystodiemods.com/hide-all-on-screen-sprites/  it was working for me on A21, but to use it for V1.0 you will have to edit the "ModInfo.xml" that is what I did. 

Here is what it should change to: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xml>
    <Name value="HideOnScreenSprites"/>
    <DisplayName value="HideOnScreenSprites" />
    <Description value="Hide all on screen sprites"/>
    <Author value="w00kien00kie"/>
    <Version value="1.0.0.1" />
    <Website value="" />
</xml>

After I made these edits it worked fine for V1.0

On 4/19/2024 at 12:26 AM, onovbuton said:

Immersion is king...  

Having options is king...
Trying to force your playstyle on others is childish and silly.
It's great you love your playstyle but don't berate others for not playing like you or enjoying the things you like.
Having the options to custom tailor a game to your liking is far better than restricting everything to one person's likes and ideals.

Edited by Brugas (see edit history)

On 6/30/2024 at 9:22 AM, Brugas said:

Having options is king...
Trying to force your playstyle on others is childish and silly.
It's great you love your playstyle but don't berate others for not playing like you or enjoying the things you like.
Having the options to custom tailor a game to your liking is far better than restricting everything to one person's likes and ideals.

then the options should be there to tailer ...they are not....and with the release of 1.0 the the problem has got even worse....the fat pimps have taken my money three times for their game and they continue not to listen to what players have to say.... 1.0 id the death of 7d2d sandbox and the intro of mainstream lame catering... 

On 6/28/2024 at 4:15 PM, Jak1up said:

If your still looking for a mod to remove on screen sprites you can use w00kien00kie's mod - https://7daystodiemods.com/hide-all-on-screen-sprites/  it was working for me on A21, but to use it for V1.0 you will have to edit the "ModInfo.xml" that is what I did. 

Here is what it should change to: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xml>
    <Name value="HideOnScreenSprites"/>
    <DisplayName value="HideOnScreenSprites" />
    <Description value="Hide all on screen sprites"/>
    <Author value="w00kien00kie"/>
    <Version value="1.0.0.1" />
    <Website value="" />
</xml>

yeh cheers dude... i loaded 1.0 and it was too broke for me to play so i went back to 21  which is now broken as well lol.... but 21 is still better than 1.0 till the problems are fixed... will check out that mod..  

On 4/20/2024 at 1:38 AM, BFT2020 said:

Remove them if you don't want them.  Cancel the quest even.  Not sure why you have to be so vitriol on this....and who the hell cares on how many hours you played.

-dont know why you fanboys keep sticking up like this so much.... when investing in a pre release game they are taking my money to build their  game... i have purchased three copies of the game over the years and i have every right to @%$# and moan as much as i @%$#n god damm like.... how about you just learn to deal with opinions that dont match  you own and stfu unless you have something helpful to say.... and cancelling the quest does not remove all the sprites... i mean do you even play this game

5 hours ago, onovbuton said:

then the options should be there to tailer ...they are not....and with the release of 1.0 the the problem has got even worse....the fat pimps have taken my money three times for their game and they continue not to listen to what players have to say.... 1.0 id the death of 7d2d sandbox and the intro of mainstream lame catering... 

yeh cheers dude... i loaded 1.0 and it was too broke for me to play so i went back to 21  which is now broken as well lol.... but 21 is still better than 1.0 till the problems are fixed... will check out that mod..  

-dont know why you fanboys keep sticking up like this so much.... when investing in a pre release game they are taking my money to build their  game... i have purchased three copies of the game over the years and i have every right to @%$# and moan as much as i @%$#n god damm like.... how about you just learn to deal with opinions that dont match  you own and stfu unless you have something helpful to say.... and cancelling the quest does not remove all the sprites... i mean do you even play this game

There are options.
You also have the option to mod it. Plenty out there. 
You have the option to use those and tailor it to your liking...

Not sure why you are whining and trying to force your way on everyone.
The money spent on this game is some of the best money I've ever spent and have enjoyed every bit of it.
You say you have over 5,000 hours spent playing... sounds like money well spent to me.

Edited by Brugas (see edit history)

7 hours ago, onovbuton said:

fanboy - for an insult, that is pretty weak sauce.  And yes, besides modding the game and helping others to mod their game for their personal enjoyment, I also heavily play this game.

And yes I was being helpful until you started insulting others that use the sprites in games.  There are a lot of players in these forums like me that will help others tailor the game to their desires, but if you want help / assistance, then don't start insulting others that don't feel the same way as you.

If you want to remove the sprites for the challenge system, you can do two options:

• Option 1:  Don't have any of the challenges as active quests.  At that point, progress can still be made but you won't see any of the tracking sprites on the screen.
  • Option 2:  A simply one-line modlet should remove the challenge sprites (I say should as I don't have a means to test it today while on vacation) if you want to actively track the challenge but don't want the icons showing up in the game world

Create a modlet with a challenges xml file in it and have the following code:

<config>

<set xpath="//challenge/objective/@override_tracker_index">none</set>

</config>

So now each challenge that uses the tracker code to pop up the little icons near the object you are supposed to harvest for that challenge will not do so as it is now looking for none instead of the value that TFP put into the blocks themselves.  For example, in the honey challenge, the stump blocks have challenge_stump as the value for the tracker.  The challenge itself will not put the icon next to any stumps as it is looking for none, not challenge_stump.

For quests, that is not the same method as the floating yellow exclamation mark is also used to reset the POI and start the quest, so you cannot remove those without coming up with a different method to start the quest / reset the POI.  They don't bother me (since the floating icon only appears if I have the quest active) so I haven't looked into changing those at all.

If you want to remove the sprites for traders when you get close to them (the talking person icon), then you would need to go into the nav_objects xml file and look for onscreen_settings.  Onscreen_settings is for the icons you see when you looking first person while map_settings is for the icons when you are looking at the map.  I haven't messed with those yet, but my current working theory is that simply removing them removes them from the game (but I would have to code it and try to confirm it doesn't cause crashes in game).

In nav_objects, you can also fiddle around with how close you have to be to the marker to see it.  These values can be used for any of the onscreen sprites.  Just look for the specific nav object (for example, lets modify the quests one so looking for nav_object_class quest) and go to the onscreen_settings section.  Then you just need to change the property max_distance to the number of blocks away that it appears.  Currently quest icons have a distance set of -1 so unlimited.  Trader is set to 30 which is why they don't pop up until you are around 30 blocks or less to the trader location.

If you want to remove the icons that pop up for the Animal tracking perk, then you would need to create a progression file with code to remove the portions of the triggered effects.  Then you wouldn't be tracking animals anymore.  Since the triggered effects for that perk only apply to tracking animals, this can also be done with a single line of code in your modlet.

On 6/28/2024 at 12:15 AM, Jak1up said:

Does it also work for challenges?  Challenges were added in V1.0 so my initial thought it that it doesn't remove those icons for the new challenge system since those are handled in a different xml file.

w00kie's mod is one of the best one out there for sprites as it allows you to customize what sprites you want to go away and which ones to keep.  Sirillion also has a mod, but it removes the UI interface for sprites, so basically an all or nothing option if that is what you are looking for.

Both w00kie and Sirillion are still actively modding games so hopefully they will be updating their QoL mods.  Sirillion will be updating his mods, but only after V1.0 stable is released (at least that is what I last heard).