Perpetual Time Possible?

I don't understand the reasoning for wanting time to continue with no one on. Wouldn't the players die of thirst or starvation if that happens?

Is it possible that the base could be destroyed if 1 or more horde nights happen when no one is there to defend the base?

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

I don't understand the reasoning for wanting time to continue with no one on. Wouldn't the players die of thirst or starvation if that happens?

Is it possible that the base could be destroyed if 1 or more horde nights happen when no one is there to defend the base?

Well, hunger and thirst don't apply when offline regardless if time is passing.  But the horde night thing is an interesting question.  It shouldn't be possible to have spawns if no  one is in any chunks.  But then you have to wonder where any benefit comes from for time passing without anyone online.  What changes besides the day?  The only actual benefit I could see is that you always know when horde night will happen because it's always X hours real time between horde nights.  But other than that, I'm not sure any benefit.  And I'm not really sure that's all that big of a deal either.

Okay, so I guess another "benefit" is that you could stock up your forges and campfires and whatnot and they'll finish everything even when no one is online.  But that's more of a cheat/cheese than a benefit imo.

It's not for any crafting benefit actually, it's so that people can log off at will without degrading the play of the folks logging on after them. I'll explain - 

Player A plays for a few hours up to 21:58 and logs off so when Player B logs on they have to contend with an unprepared horde night or they have to wait till Player A logs back on again to 'clear' the horde night and that could be several hours irl. My friends are split off across several timezones so it's a pretty annoying issue; along with doing horde night then logging off and logging on the next irl day only to have to do horde night again because someone/some people played a bunch and ran the days down to horde night again. So some players only ever really play horde nights because of other players putting in a lot more time compared to them.

So with the time running perpetually it would eliminate the issue and make it a 'fair' RNG as it won't be players leaving just before the hordes come.

With no one on the server hordes don't spawn for horde night similarly to if you use the debug menu to go invis the hordes don't spawn for you

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

Well, hunger and thirst don't apply when offline regardless if time is passing.  But the horde night thing is an interesting question.  It shouldn't be possible to have spawns if no  one is in any chunks.  But then you have to wonder where any benefit comes from for time passing without anyone online.  What changes besides the day?  The only actual benefit I could see is that you always know when horde night will happen because it's always X hours real time between horde nights.  But other than that, I'm not sure any benefit.  And I'm not really sure that's all that big of a deal either.

Okay, so I guess another "benefit" is that you could stock up your forges and campfires and whatnot and they'll finish everything even when no one is online.  But that's more of a cheat/cheese than a benefit imo.

That is true and I can see where nigoshi is going with their idea. That actually just happened to me. Was thinking of joining a new server but it was just about a half a day before horde so I waited. I did see that later someone had gotten on so I decided to check back after they had played the horde. When I did check I saw they had logged off with the game at 21:56 on horde night. So it still does happen.

I still don't get the idea fully though as even though if you went to log on it could still be horde night. I also know that then you would just have to wait but the days are still passing by. If it is a regular server then getting new players to join might be iffy. I mean I wouldn't usually join a server as a newbie if it is Day 288 (12 irl days of nonstop game running). First thing in my mind is all half decent base spots would be taken by then. I would want a server with lower days to have a chance to set up my base.

Also this is a play your own way game so having the server constantly running with no one on is a way to play so my only thought now is does anyone know how to help this player do what they want.