POI idea - Navezgane Public Library branch(es?)

FramFramson

We're so used to Crack-A-Book being the place to get our litterachoor so we can make our characters have them big branes, but as far as I can tell, there's no standalone public library POIs in the game (can't remember if there's a little one in the city hall POI). Maybe something to add in future? If you wanted multiple, you could have a "main branch" which would be a T4 or so and then a little local branch as a T1 or T2 (maybe as part of one of those shopping plaza POIs).

Just a thought!

7 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

We're so used to Crack-A-Book being the place to get our litterachoor so we can make our characters have them big branes, but as far as I can tell, there's no standalone public library POIs in the game (can't remember if there's a little one in the city hall POI). Maybe something to add in future? If you wanted multiple, you could have a "main branch" which would be a T4 or so and then a little local branch as a T1 or T2 (maybe as part of one of those shopping plaza POIs).

Just a thought!

Although I like the idea, how can we balance the loot aspect?  They handle it in stores by having mostly empty shelves and the shelves that have stuff often have stuff that isn't too important.  With the Crack A Book stores, most shelves are empty but you already can get a ton of magazines/books from those.  A library with mostly empty shelves seems really strange to me, but to have that many lootable places for magazines and books seems a bit too much to me.  I played a custom college POI from Deverezieaux that had a large library in it.  Even with half the shelves being empty, it still got you a TON of books.  And that was in A20 before magazines were a thing.  With magazines, you could end up getting enough to fill out half of all magazines you care about after only one time through.  It was nice in a way but also very OP.  I don't see a good way around that unless you want to have shelves that show books but can't be interacted with.  And I think that just frustrates people.  Any ideas?  Because I love the idea of a library if the loot balancing can be figured out.  I also don't think the option here is to have a ton of paper like before.

I feel like you're overthinking it. Book stores are full of bookshelves too! I would just set it up inside in the same way as the Crack-A-Books, with mostly empty shelves. If people had been looting or trashing bookstores, why wouldn't they loot or trash libraries just the same?

Libraries could have some unique features though, like a storytime area (similar to the playrooms you see in the daycare POIs) or a row of public-access computer terminals. Basically any of the public service features libraries can have.

You could also have a civic centre type of POI, with one wing as a small library and another as a pool, and maybe a gym, with a help desk near the entrance. Lots of small towns and big city neighbourhoods have these - Navezgane Public Rec Centre anyone?

I recall Not-a-Gamer Gaming had a Library POI. While they have withdrawn their POI modlet you can still find that POI in the CompoPack. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of other Libraries in the CompoPack, but you're right I can't think of a Library in the Vanilla POIs.

18 hours ago, FramFramson said:

I feel like you're overthinking it. Book stores are full of bookshelves too! I would just set it up inside in the same way as the Crack-A-Books, with mostly empty shelves. If people had been looting or trashing bookstores, why wouldn't they loot or trash libraries just the same?

Libraries could have some unique features though, like a storytime area (similar to the playrooms you see in the daycare POIs) or a row of public-access computer terminals. Basically any of the public service features libraries can have.

You could also have a civic centre type of POI, with one wing as a small library and another as a pool, and maybe a gym, with a help desk near the entrance. Lots of small towns and big city neighbourhoods have these - Navezgane Public Rec Centre anyone?

One of the Crack A Books does have a story time area.  Anyhow, I like the idea as I said.  But tons of empty bookshelves in a library just feels bad to me.  Maybe it's just me, though.  I get what you're saying but I just feel like a library without books looks bad.  A book store is just a store in the end and I don't mind that being mostly empty.  :)