Technical questions: Mods folder locations and CPU threads.

Arez

I made a YouTube video about my favorite mods. One of them is called the Yakov Performance Mod. All it does is add these two lines...

gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

...to the game's boot.config file. 

I was under the impression that it allowed the game to push more work to the GPU, but someone on Reddit responded to my video saying that it makes the CPU work better, which in turn allows for more frames to be pushed to the GPU resulting in higher GPU usage. 

Can somebody explain this to me as if I don't know how any of this stuff works...because I don't?

Also can someone explain how none of my CPU cores or threads get any more than 50% usage, yet the game is considered taxing on the CPU? Wouldn't that mean it should show a high percentage of use?

As for mods in general...the Redditor also told me that the Mods folder should be put in the appdata folder and not the game's main directory. Is that true? I believe him, but I just want to double check with someone deep in the know...aka staff.

Thank you. 

P.S. Let me just get a copy of A22. I will keep it a secret. And you know I'm gonna play it like a motherf@#ker so you'll get some QA outta me. Not that @Jugginator and crew aren't the best, because they are. But it will be real world, remote conditions...I don't know. Think about it.

I can answer the mod folder question.  That should be in your appdata folder (unless you personally want to change your user data folder location like I have done so it isn't on my smaller boot drive). 

Microsoft has been pushing developers to keep things in standardized locations for stuff like saves and settings, though I don't know if that was why they chose to make the change.  Personally, I support the move to standardized locations.  I hate trying to find saves and settings that could be all over the place.  Far easier to have everything kept in one location.  Though I would prefer a simple setting in Windows to set that location where you want and games just use something like %saves% to find that location.  Defaulting to saving everything on the boot drive, which is usually small unless you put your own drive in the computer is a dumb idea, imo.  Of course, the reason is that Microsoft knows you will have a boot drive and doesn't know if you will have any other drivers.

9 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Microsoft has been pushing developers to keep things in standardized locations for stuff like saves and settings, though I don't know if that was why they chose to make the change.

According to the Redditor, Microsoft GamePass games don't allow people to access a game's main directory. And he said the Pimps will eventually make it so you can't put the Mods folder in the main directory at all. 

As of now you can have the folder in either location, or both at the same time.

Edited by Arez (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Arez said:

And he said the Pimps will eventually make it so you can't put the Mods folder in the main directory at all. 

As of now you can have the folder in either location, or both at the same time.

To be clear, you can set the folder to be in any location that you want and it is unlikely they will change that.  So even if, by default, the game doesn't look in the game folder, you can still have it there if you set that as your user data folder location.  Though, if Gamepass didn't allow it there, that is a different matter.  For "normal" versions of the game, you can have it there if you choose.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

To go a little further on the jobs, it does switch on a bit more hyperthreading (jobs=worker side threads in layman's terms) which can off some of the tasks on the main thread to others. Unity, and most engines for that matter, hit the main core (strongest) hard with the main thread, and have rather poor multicore performance for the other cores. That's why you see your cpu usage at like 33 or 50%: most of that is on a single core with some child tasks on other cores.

We have tried enabling jobs before internally, but it was crashing some systems so it was shelved for a bit.