New armor

Adam the Waster

I'm hyped for the new armor but I wanted to share a few ideas of other armors. 

Scrap armor: the new version looks kinda like the new plant fiber armor but with much more junk. License plates, flatten cans, bones, sheet metal. Etc. The helmet would be a bucket on your head. It gives small buffs to melee, stun protection and weapon speed.  But it's not for being stealthy

Primal armor: looks like a guilly suit with pelts, camo pants, and a deer skull with guilly and a face wrap, it gives buff while in the cold, hunting/skining, Stealth and buffs with spears and bows

Skullcrusher armor: looks like the new raider overlord armor, gives buffs to brawling, getting attacked from behind, alcohol buffs, and more 

Runner armor: looks like white river runner armor, gives buffs in speed, jump, parkour brawling and bartering 

Hunters armor: looks like a set of hunting gear, Orange vest, camo, ushanka hat and goggles, with some reinforced parts like a leather vest 

More to come 

Screenshot_20230917_142740_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230917_142823_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230918_000723_Chrome.jpg

DeerSkullHelmet (1).jpg

l042zyxi9el81~2.jpg

images (1).jpeg

26319cef03b5.jpg

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Unfortunately, it seems they are moving toward a limited set of armor styles like many other games and although you can apparently still mix and match, they'll likely look really awful if you do so.  If there were a lot of choices, I wouldn't really mind.  But I think the number of choices will be pretty low.  Of course, even now, where we have a lot of choices, the choices are still mostly limited by what armor type we want (heavy or light) and then what tier we're on for that.  And clothing can be changed around without too much impact on the game since temperature isn't a big problem but I think a lot of players pick the best hot/cold bonuses more often than just choosing by aesthetic, though I may be wrong about that.  For me, there are certain clothing options I won't ever use but otherwise, I don't care what I look like since I only ever see myself while driving and then I'm only looking at my back most of the time.  So I mostly just pick what has the best hot/cold bonuses and occasionally adjust the color.

If we had a 3rd person view beyond driving, I'd be far more interested in seeing many other outfits.  Perhaps the new system will make it easier for modders to add their own clothing options easily.

18 hours ago, Riamus said:

Unfortunately, it seems they are moving toward a limited set of armor styles like many other games and although you can apparently still mix and match, they'll likely look really awful if you do so.  If there were a lot of choices, I wouldn't really mind.  But I think the number of choices will be pretty low.  Of course, even now, where we have a lot of choices, the choices are still mostly limited by what armor type we want (heavy or light) and then what tier we're on for that.  And clothing can be changed around without too much impact on the game since temperature isn't a big problem but I think a lot of players pick the best hot/cold bonuses more often than just choosing by aesthetic, though I may be wrong about that.  For me, there are certain clothing options I won't ever use but otherwise, I don't care what I look like since I only ever see myself while driving and then I'm only looking at my back most of the time.  So I mostly just pick what has the best hot/cold bonuses and occasionally adjust the color.

If we had a 3rd person view beyond driving, I'd be far more interested in seeing many other outfits.  Perhaps the new system will make it easier for modders to add their own clothing options easily.

I think modders have been holding off on modding in characters and clothes for a long time because of how dated the system is and in anticipation of the system being replaced. Hopefully we'll see more stuff from modders outfit-wise once we have actual current character models. I also expect modders to offer options changing or removing the set bonuses. We also have no idea if things like the helmet mods that change the appearance of your helmet will continue to exist (but you can bet that if it goes away, modders will add it back in, perhaps expanding that to all slots).

I've always been a fan of games allowing for a cosmetic outfit that shows on screen while maintaining the benefits of the actual armor you're wearing.  Most games don't offer that but I like when they do.  It's nice to change my look to what I like rather than being limited to whatever armor I am using.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:32 AM, FramFramson said:

TBH, the sing;e biggest thing I want to see with characters after we get raiders is more variation in NPCs, and I'm really wondering if the new character models will allow us to create new traders, non-trader quest givers, and non-trader NPC quest targets (kill/rescue/deal or trade with).

Agreed, they could spawn with random armors and such and maybe part of quest, static nps like guards at trading post, Scavengers, desperate survivors shooting you over a can of Chilli 

Even some small challenges from npcs like  "go kill this bear and come back" like darkness falls 

Or even the old random clans back then for challenges could come back! AND TRADER JIMMY

On 9/26/2023 at 4:38 PM, Adam the Waster said:

Agreed, they could spawn with random armors and such and maybe part of quest, static nps like guards at trading post, Scavengers, desperate survivors shooting you over a can of Chilli 

Even some small challenges from npcs like  "go kill this bear and come back" like darkness falls 

Or even the old random clans back then for challenges could come back! AND TRADER JIMMY

Any new traders would be amazing. The vast majority of us are playing on maps with more than 5 traders and the repetition has never felt stopped being goofy.

Like, at least do some palette and name swaps or something. If they could do it for games in 1992, we can do it here, if absolutely nothing else.