New dedicated - "Could not retrieve server ID". Telnet works, but not game client.

vox23

I have a 7 Days dedicated server running on Ubuntu 22.04 in AWS. I am able to connect to the server via the game's telnet port, but I cannot connect via the game client. I am getting an error that says, "Could not retrieve server ID".

On my Ubuntu VM, ufw is disabled. iptables are full ALLOW. These are the ports I have open via the AWS security group:

8080 - 8082

26900 - 26903

27014 - 27050 (just in case it was a steam issue)

Here is the log file from when the server started:

https://pastebin.com/70HTcUTV

Here is my serverconfig.xml:

https://pastebin.com/g3UG0JkK

Any idea why I can connect via telnet but not the game client?

Edited by vox23
added ubuntu version (see edit history)

I have to say, you have one thing that I have seen in just about every similar report.

ALSA lib confmisc.c:855:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_inum returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:422:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1334:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5701:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
FMOD failed to initialize the output device.: "Error initializing output device. " (60)
Forced to initialize FMOD to to the device driver's system output rate 48000, this may impact performance and/or give inconsistent experiences compared to selected sample rate 48000
ALSA lib confmisc.c:855:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_inum returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:422:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1334:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:5178:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5701:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
FMOD failed to initialize the output device.: "Error initializing output device. " (60)
FMOD initialized on nosound output

This is usually because of an audio device missing a driver, or one that doesn't have driver support in Linux. In early experimental testing, I ran into a very similar issue because of a Bluetooth driver problem. Tested that on both Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, and Debian 10 and 11.

Basically, the server is up; but because the system is looping in trying to initialize the device, it isn't able to handle the network traffic data.

The fix I performed on my test system was to disable the device in UEFI/BIOS, and remove it from the system hardware list in Linux.

3 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

This is usually because of an audio device missing a driver, or one that doesn't have driver support in Linux. In early experimental testing, I ran into a very similar issue because of a Bluetooth driver problem. Tested that on both Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, and Debian 10 and 11.

Basically, the server is up; but because the system is looping in trying to initialize the device, it isn't able to handle the network traffic data.

The fix I performed on my test system was to disable the device in UEFI/BIOS, and remove it from the system hardware list in Linux.

I'm running an virtual machine on AWS that does not have access to audio devices. It doesn't come with ALSA or pulseaudio installed, and even if I did install them, there would still be no audio device (I tried).

I verified there were no audio or bluetooth devices installed.

Does a 7 Days dedicated server instance require an audio driver? And if so, why?

edit: both telnet and the web console are working.

Edited by vox23
clarity (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, vox23 said:

I have some additional information. The server is starting and telnet still works, but I'm getting this error when I start the server with screen:

https://pastebin.com/9YWBt8rt

At the end it says "segmentation fault" and it might be some sort of Unity error?

Did you configure Swap?  Has to be 8GB. Your first log shows you are using Ubuntu, which defaults to 2GB.