Windows Crash Recovery when generating random worlds

Dark Wun

Hi all,

Is anyone else getting crashes during or right after a map is made? I'm not talking about a program freeze, I'm talking about the Windows Crash Recovery activating "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart....etc." page with the QR code (formerly blue screens of death). If so, are you getting more of them since A21? I don't recall having this problem at A20, but I wasn't generating nearly as many maps, so I could have as well.

you are correct, restarting the game before generating another world, as well as not changing parameters and re-generating a world in the same session seems to rectify the issue.

36 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

I'd guess it's a memory issue

This is the first time in years I've seen a crash that caused Windows to call the crash recovery program. Can you clarify whether you are thinking this may be a hardware issue with my ram or the way the game program manages ram? I don't have this issue with any other games/programs. I will test my RAM, but I'm curious about what you meant.

11 minutes ago, Dark Wun said:

I will test my RAM, but I'm curious about what you meant.

When you generate a game, it uses a lot of memory. The memory doesn't get released when you generate another world, so

your computer can run out of memory. It may be a bug, or just the way the game is right now. I don't know.

Alright, the page file was set to be automatically managed by windows and I did a Memtest86 test and absolutely no errors were reported, so I'm thinking this is the software. I'm unpleasantly surprised this memory management can cause the entire OS to crash, as opposed to just the 7days.exe program.