Dedicated server requirements

Tankadaire

Hello,

I want to host my own dedicted server using a micro pc
What are the requirements for 8 players on A21 (and above)?
I know that i need at least 16go of ram, and i read confusing things on the cpu needed.
From what i have read it need  at least 2core and 3Ghz, but i also read that people used old cpu with low frquency and lots of core. If you have any setup exemple it would be nice.

Last questions is it a good idea to host a dedicated server myself (i don't pay electricity and have some experience with linux, server and portforwarding) or shiuld i just rent something?

Thanks for your help!

This is literally posted in the Pinned Support FAQ page. I even updated it just a few weeks ago.

The min spec would be for probably 3-4 player, no mods, not a big map. Recommended would be 4-8 players, and would support mods and a larger map.

IMHO, if you have decent bandwidth and a spare PC, self-hosting is the way to go. Especially if you're not afraid to use Linux. I wrote a guide for that here.

I mean, I can run servers on an old Dell PowerEdge R710. The X5675's in it are roughly equivalent to a 3rd-gen Intel i7. It's got some latency issues though with a20 and a21 because the data bandwidth on the motherboard and RAM is getting too old to support what the game requires. Our hosting group was using that until last year when we upgraded to a custom-built system with an R9 5950X. 

Really, it depends on what you have and what it is ultimately capable of. This client is very heavily CPU-bound, and the ability to read/write to both RAM and storage is very important for performance. It's why I went a bit overkill with the data setup on our new server. We have six 7 Days servers up on it, and the hardware would allow for me to double that before we start noticing any limitations in performance. (And honestly, at that point the biggest limitations are RAM and storage space.)