Missing files with new Linux server installation (Solved)

fma_wrath_2069

So I have recently reinstalled 7d2d on VM running Ubuntu 22.04.  this is on an HP proliant server.

In the past when I had a server (alpha 18 was the last time) I had a serveradmin.xml file where my server config file was however upon installing alpha 21 no serveradmin.xml file was there.  I also did a complete system scan for the file and it was nowhere else.  Is there a way to get the contents listed of the vanilla file so that I can enable command use?

Also would like to add that I saw a post about serverpermissions.xml as well which looks very similar to the older serveradmin.xml file I was used to before but again my install did not come with the serverpermissions.xml file either.

Edited by fma_wrath_2069
Stated serverpermissions.xml wasn't included either (see edit history)

You could use "app_update 294420 validate" so it also checks everything is loaded. If there is something missing maybe call app_update twice.

Never heard of serverpermissions.xml and I don't find it on my server. serveradmin.xml still works

Just now, meganoth said:

You could use "app_update 294420 validate" so it also checks everything is loaded. If there is something missing maybe call app_update twice.

Never heard of serverpermissions.xml and I don't find it on my server. serveradmin.xml still works

mind telling me where the serveradmin.xml file is located and possibly a vanilla copy of the file?

I will quickly try the validation to see if that fixes though

23 minutes ago, fma_wrath_2069 said:

mind telling me where the serveradmin.xml file is located and possibly a vanilla copy of the file?

I will quickly try the validation to see if that fixes though

serveradmin file will be automatically generated when you start the server and it isn't there. It is located where your saves are stored. If you didn't change it that would be in .local/share/7DaysToDie/Saves/

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Validate didn't fix.  Still am not seeing where the serveradmin.xml file is on linux.  I searched the entire drive and came up with 400-500 folders/files containing "server" but not the serveradmin.xml file.

Even downloaded the dedicated server package off steam on my personal computer and did a search for an serveradmin.xml file within the folders contents and it was not able to find it....

I used notepad++ to search through the files for the string "webmodules" and I saw in another post that it is part of the serveradmin.xml file and had 6 hits in a file called WebServer.pdb.  I am not receiving any serveradmin.xml file with either installation package through steam.

Maybe you missed it when I said that serveradmin.xml will be generated the first time you START the server, it is not downloaded.

And you will then find it inside the directory where your saves are, either default .local/share/7DaysToDie/Saves/  (note the dot at the start, it is a hidden folder in your home directory), or whereever else you store your savegame by changing and uncommenting a line in your serverconfig.xml

So I looked through the output file and noticed that the file path is :

/root/.local/share/7DaysToDie/Saves/

instead of the .local one that you listed so maybe I misunderstood what you were meaning due to being frustrated or something.

I had to install nautilus-admin to see the /root/.local directories if anyone has a similar issue to what I have had.  For some reason I was unable to access root (it would change my ~ to / but not show me any additional hidden folders) so by installing the nautilus-admin I was able to verify the generation of the serveradmin.xml file.  I could have sworn it was a lot easier to get to this file when I played during Alpha 18 *shrug*

Once you do that you can navigate to /share/7DaystoDie/Saves to verify the serveradmin.xml file.  With nautilus-admin installed you can right click to edit the serveradmin.xml file if you are using a linux gui.

Once I realized I was missing the /root/ at the beginning of the file path I was able to sudo nano the file and am able to modify it accordingly.

Thank you for your help.  This thread can be closed.

Edited by fma_wrath_2069
Found the issue. Posted what my misunderstanding was. (see edit history)

• fma_wrath_2069 changed the title to Missing files with new Linux server installation (Solved)

What that probably means is that you are starting the game server as root user.

You can do that, but it is not a good idea from a security standpoint: If somone knows a security vulnerability in the game he immediately has full control over your complete server machine. You normally should run the game server as a normal unpriviledged user, not root.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Yes I know that I shouldn't run it as root.  It is the only vm on the server at the moment since I didn't have my hard drive in RAID before and have just got the server back up and running with RAID 1.  I was just wanting to make sure I knew how to get everything setup so that when Alpha 22 comes out and all my friends start playing again I can have it up and running relatively quickly.

Now to just setup scripts to auto update and to start the server as a service 😛

Thanks again for the help.