starting up 7 days to "EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in the main menu.

SHERLOCKSTANLEY

Every time I start up 7 Days to Die I am confronted with "EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" repeating. This started after I launched Vortex Mod Manager for 7 Days to Die. I have uninstalled Vortex and all mods.  

This problem is solved when I go into the 7 Days to Die launcher > tools > Clean game data > "Game data(selected) > then clean. However, I have to do this every time I start 7DTD and this deletes all my saves, profiles, and configurations.

Uninstalling the Game didn't resolve the issue.

This is the log of my issue. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1trPVCsgucvWriL_L5Pi8LeknBHBGXvUN/view?usp=sharing

Edited by SHERLOCKSTANLEY (see edit history)

2 hours ago, SHERLOCKSTANLEY said:

Every time I start up 7 Days to Die I am confronted with "EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" repeating. This started after I launched Vortex Mod Manager for 7 Days to Die. I have uninstalled Vortex and all mods.  

This problem is solved when I go into the 7 Days to Die launcher > tools > Clean game data > "Game data(selected) > then clean. However, I have to do this every time I start 7DTD and this deletes all my saves, profiles, and configurations.

Uninstalling the Game didn't resolve the issue.

This is the log of my issue. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1trPVCsgucvWriL_L5Pi8LeknBHBGXvUN/view?usp=sharing

Log isn't public.  Please use Pastebin as instructed.

2023-07-14T15:46:56 0.153 INF Command line arguments: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe -force-d3d11 -UserDataFolder=C:\Users\Jack Stanley\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods -logfile C:\Users\Jack Stanley\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\logs\output_log_client__2023-07-14__15-46-24.txt

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Jack\Saves' is denied.

It looks like an issue with your windows user name, because you have a space in your user name.

For a quick workaround you could create a folder with this name:

C:\Users\Jack\Saves

This may help you (not tested...)

Or just remove that (non-default) parameter from the command-line within Steam:

-UserDataFolder="C:\Users\Jack Stanley\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods"

Edited by SylenThunder
Path with space needs to be in quotes (see edit history)