PVP reduced damage

Hey Guys,

me and my friends started our first pvp Server (over the last couple of years we've only played pve in one group). Now that we play deathmath survival we've noticed that we receive way too much damage, so that nearly every fight is just a one shot, or maybe two hits. So it's not a real fight. Is there any way to reduce the pvp damage only to something like 20% with a mod? Tried to create one using chatGPT, but unfortunately it doesn't work :p

Any of you guys has an idea?

Cheers
Stanley

You could probably create a buff that does this in the same way one of the hunters journal books reduces damage from other players, or the quick and easy way would just be to amend that book from I think it is a 10% reduction to 80% and have everyone read it, which would also remove the issue of the book stacking on top of any default buff you added.

11 minutes ago, Ananais said:

You could probably create a buff that does this in the same way one of the hunters journal books reduces damage from other players, or the quick and easy way would just be to amend that book from I think it is a 10% reduction to 80% and have everyone read it, which would also remove the issue of the book stacking on top of any default buff you added.

Sounds like a great idea. Do you know what file I need to edit in order to change the value of this book?

I am away from my machine tonight, but am fairly sure it will be in the progression.xml.

If you don't get it beforehand, I should be back to my machine that has the game on it sometime tomorrow, can take a proper look then.

1 hour ago, Ananais said:

I am away from my machine tonight, but am fairly sure it will be in the progression.xml.

If you don't get it beforehand, I should be back to my machine that has the game on it sometime tomorrow, can take a proper look then.

That would be awesome. As far as I've seen the hunter journals only increase the dmg to humanoids by 10%. Also I guess zombies are humanoid as well? That would be a problem.

Hey,

Sorry I ended up not having as much time to look at this today as I had expected.

I think the book must have been changed, at least I am fairly sure it used to only be damage vs other players, either way though I just went ahead and used one of my other mods as a template as it was quicker. I did remove the damage in the book against other players and left it as zombie only, as it would have skewed things a bit too far I think.

I set the buff to add negative 85% damage against only humans, did some quick testing and this came out to 8 damage per hit from a pistol with 40 base damage without armour, perks, etc. You can mess with the number in the buffs.xml if you want to adjust it.

Left in the little icon etc. as it was in the template already, but it is probably safe enough to remove it.

Edit: uploaded here: Reduced PvP Damage at 7 Days to Die Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

19 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Another option would be entityclasses file so everyone has the buff regardless of reading the book.  I played around with it before, adding a small do buff at the start for electric trap kills

I would actually be interested in looking at that, I recall I tried adding a buff directly into entityclasses but had issues with it applying consistently, my impatience probably kicked in and I ended up doing it the long way round via the buffs xml.

Edited by Ananais
Added link (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Ananais said:

I would actually be interested in looking at that, I recall I tried adding a buff directly into entityclasses but had issues with it applying consistently, my impatience probably kicked in and I ended up doing it the long way round via the buffs xml.

This is what I did in my mod

<insertAfter xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='PlayerExpGain']">
        <passive_effect name="ElectricalTrapXP" operation="base_set" value="0.1"/>
    </insertAfter>

What you probably need to do:

<effect_group>
            <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" level="1" value=".1">
                <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" target="other" tags="human"/>
            </passive_effect>
        </effect_group>

Obviously change the value number to your target.  In theory, this should reduce damage to players from other players.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:23 AM, BFT2020 said:

This is what I did in my mod

<insertAfter xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='PlayerExpGain']">
        <passive_effect name="ElectricalTrapXP" operation="base_set" value="0.1"/>
    </insertAfter>

What you probably need to do:

<effect_group>
            <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" level="1" value=".1">
                <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" target="other" tags="human"/>
            </passive_effect>
        </effect_group>

Obviously change the value number to your target.  In theory, this should reduce damage to players from other players.

It was a while ago now, but I think that was pretty much how I went about it, just appended a new effect group.

I am wondering now whether I was having issues due to something other than it being in entity classes, will have to have a play with it again at some point.