What even IS the vision they have for the game these days? General options of A21.

Scyris

I been wondering this since a17 and up, As I seen them removing more and more sandbox features, which seems weird when the game was supposed to orignally be "minecraft with zombies and tower defense" as a basis. However I been noticing after a16.4 they keep removing more and more of the games features to try to force a certain playstyle on the players. Issue is, I don't even see what their end goal is. We have a20, then we have a21 which has learn by reading, which i'll be honest as a person who plays single player I rather like this system as it adds some randomness to each play thru. The stat system needs to go or be improved though, its alright for multiplayer (as others can be miners etc), but when your a single player you need to do everything yourself and you need too many diff stats to be efficent. They kinda fix the sex t-rex issue, by adding it to all weapon/tool lines, next we need this somehow done to miner 69'er and motherload so were not hard locked to str for that. I like my block damage too much and extra resources from ore nodes and such to give them up. Every game I play I generally take str to 5 first, to get sex t-rex maxed (not a thing now in a21) and Miner 69'er and motherload to 4/5. The water change doesn't bother me again as I am a single player, I can get enough via loot etc for my needs, but I could see a Multiplayer issue, maybe we need higher tier dew collectors? that collect faster and have more storage slots, could use a claw hammer and the right mats to upgrade to the next tier. Overall I generally like a21 other than the stat system, and the lack of a new tier of enemy/items.

So my question is: just what IS/do you think TFP's vision for 7DTD is going forward? To me it looks like they are sort of trying to go with a on rails straight line action adventure game type thing with how more and more sandbox elements are removed each alpha, and how they keep trying to force certain playstyles.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

The development cycle of this game is long enough, that you can see it's vision go through phases based on what is popular at the time.

At this point, I see the older versions as more of a record of survival game development in general.

If development keeps taking a long time, then the vision will shift to some new popular thing. I wouldn't try to hard to pin it down to right now.

yeah. i loved this game when it was sandbox, and before a21 i was playing purely base builder, ignoring traders and quests, loosing q6 gear in proces. In a21 i HAVE to do quests or at least scavenge for magazines, otherwise i would be stuck with stone axe in order to gather resourcess.
i would love to play sandbox, crafting game. but it seems devs wants this game to be a looter shooter...

On 6/22/2023 at 8:11 AM, Scyris said:

So my question is: just what IS/do you think TFP's vision for 7DTD is going forward?

If i was a cynical fellow, which I am, and if I had no faith in humanity, which I don't, I would say that the plan is to keep tweaking the game over time until the sales decline to a certain point.  Then move on to 7D2D2 and start all over again. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, Gideon said:

If development keeps taking a long time, then the vision will shift to some new popular thing.

I've been afraid of that.  Get as much money as you can from people who want an open world survival sandbox and then start moving in a different direction.  And when your player base starts grumbling go hide behind "early access" excuses.