Prevent reading completed magazines

Riamus

When you complete a magazine set, you get the open book icon on the magazine the same as with books.  However, if you're not looking carefully and just clicking to read a bunch of magazines, you can end up reading magazines past the completed number.  These are then wasted.  You can't read a book that you've read before so I'd like to have magazines be the same way - once you finish the magazine, you can't read them anymore.  Example: I read 20 Southern Farming and complete the set.  Right now, I can continue to read these, wasting them.  After 20, it should no longer be possible to read them.

46 minutes ago, Riamus said:

When you complete a magazine set, you get the open book icon on the magazine the same as with books.  However, if you're not looking carefully and just clicking to read a bunch of magazines, you can end up reading magazines past the completed number.  These are then wasted.  You can't read a book that you've read before so I'd like to have magazines be the same way - once you finish the magazine, you can't read them anymore.  Example: I read 20 Southern Farming and complete the set.  Right now, I can continue to read these, wasting them.  After 20, it should no longer be possible to read them.

From what I've seen so far, you mostly don't get magazines you've maxed out.  For example, I haven't seen a Southern Farming mag since I maxed it out.  You do get them, I think, if a container rolls a magazine, but there aren't any magazines that spawn in that container that you haven't completed.  For example, I've got a small handful of cooking magazines despite having maxed them out (all of which came from food piles.)

I imagine this can cause problems in multiplayer, since once you max out a series, you generally won't find them to give to other party members, which means that stay at home players might get hosed on the magazine front.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Vaeliorin said:

From what I've seen so far, you mostly don't get magazines you've maxed out.  For example, I haven't seen a Southern Farming mag since I maxed it out.  You do get them, I think, if a container rolls a magazine, but there aren't any magazines that spawn in that container that you haven't completed.  For example, I've got a small handful of cooking magazines despite having maxed them out (all of which came from food piles.)

I don't know... I am still getting the different magazines and I think that's intended.  You just aren't supposed to get the boost anymore.  But I did see someone who posted that they thought they weren't getting anymore of the magazines as well.  Might be a bug that isn't affecting everyone.  But even if you aren't looting them yourself, you could still accidentally read something someone else looted, so I still feel this would be a good change.

Granted I've only got seeds, cooking and workstations maxed out. but I haven't seen a single seed book since I maxed it out.  I've just the few cooking books from food piles, and no workstation books (though that's a small sample size of only maybe 3-4 POIs since I maxed it out.)

I'm pretty close to maxing out a couple others (armor, fists and harvesting tools), so we'll see what happens at that point.

Edit:  I completely forgot to mention that I've be totally okay with this change.  It wouldn't really effect me one way or the other.  I do know there are people who like getting the xp from reading the already read books, though, so it might bother them.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

You can't read a book that you've read before

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The game does allow you to read books that you've already read, the only benefit you get is a small xp boost from it (and if it's a previously completed series you get the "tadaaa" music to play again)

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)