The latest amazing graphics in upcoming games

bobrpggamer

Is it all about eye candy these days. I love the graphics in the new unreal engine 5, but does game play really take the back seat.?

Will this:

Spoiler

Have the gameplay that 7 Days to Die and similar games that we are all used to because they are addicting and fun.

I plan to play Ultima IV someday because I had it for my Amiga and never started it and I want to Play all Ultima games from IV up to VIII. I played Ultima III, Ultima VI and Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. Here is some gameplay for Ultima IV.

Spoiler

I can still play it, but I doubt many could.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

If it was all about eye candy I wouldn't have 1.7k hours in 7d2d... 90% of it in A16.4.

Eye candy can sell the game. Eye candy alone won't keep players engaged for long though.

And UE5 can look great, but you can get really nice graphics from Unity as well. Almost as good as UE5 (but at this level artistic skills and budget play more important role than engine alone). Might need to switch to HDRP for that though (and I don't put past TFP to do that switch at some point 😅).

Edited by boban (see edit history)

1 hour ago, boban said:

If it was all about eye candy I wouldn't have 1.7k hours in 7d2d... 90% of it in A16.4.

Eye candy can sell the game. Eye candy alone won't keep players engaged for long though.

And UE5 can look great, but you can get really nice graphics from Unity as well. Almost as good as UE5 (but at this level artistic skills and budget play more important role than engine alone). Might need to switch to HDRP for that though (and I don't put past TFP to do that switch at some point 😅).

I think that 7DTD should access the GPU more so that it does not require a better CPU and you can get away with just buying a new GPU, keeping the tradition of buying a new GPU every 2 or so years. I have heard from a lot of guys here on the forum that 7DTD taxes the CPU more than other games. So this requires a full upgrade which would be Motherboard, CPU and Memory not just GPU like the old days of say a Voodoo to a Geforce 256 to a Geforce 2 to a Geforce 3  and so on. So if I read it correctly the HDRP will be taxing the GPU more.

6 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

if I read it correctly the HDRP will be taxing the GPU more.

Depends. It could push the GPU harder, delivering higher quality graphics. But even Built In pipeline can tax GPU. If I would have to guess, I would say that the CPU is taxed due to voxel calculations mostly (and maybe some of AI calculations, which are fundamentally bound by voxels as well here). There are ways to offload a lot of those computations to GPU (idk if 7d2d is doing that), but not 100% AFAIK.

Edited by boban (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, boban said:

If I would have to guess, I would say that the CPU is taxed due to voxel calculations mostly (and maybe some of AI calculations, which are fundamentally bound by voxels as well here).

That tracks with what faatal and the other devs have stated previously.

Graphics is an interesting thing.  Great graphics will increase sales but cannot improve gameplay and so the games with great graphics often end up not being top games because they can't hold a person's interest.  On the other hand, poor graphics can make it so people aren't interested in playing the game no matter how great the gameplay is.

I know that most old games like those from the 80s and 90s I can't bring myself to play even if they were good back then.  Only certain ones where the graphics really would the test of time, such as many of the old Sierra games or Planescape: Torment, or games without graphics are ones I will still play.

So graphics are important and not important both at the same time.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Graphics is an interesting thing.  Great graphics will increase sales but cannot improve gameplay and so the games with great graphics often end up not being top games because they can't hold a person's interest.  On the other hand, poor graphics can make it so people aren't interested in playing the game no matter how great the gameplay is.

I know that most old games like those from the 80s and 90s I can't bring myself to play even if they were good back then.  Only certain ones where the graphics really would the test of time, such as many of the old Sierra games or Planescape: Torment, or games without graphics are ones I will still play.

So graphics are important and not important both at the same time.

I mainly only play RPG games on old PCs like C64, Amiga, MS-DOS and so on, only a few Non RPG games on the Amiga I can play because I used to have one in the late 80s and never really finished the games I had and for the sake of nostalgia. For instance the platformers for Amiga are still good, like Prince of Persia, Turrican, Another World, Flashback and my favorite (that no one on these forums will know of) "The Apprentice" by Rainbow Arts that I picked up at Electronics boutique with my monthly budget (about 1 -2 games a month - after I paid rent and utilities).

I am going to pass on the C64 emulator as I was playing Might & Magic I and the side C floppy image was corrupt on every disk I had. That was a bummer but at least I was not too far from the start of the game so I went DOS Box from GOG instead. I do not know how may people play emulated C64 games, but I would suggest Atari 8 Bit or Apple II for the really ancient games.

The RPGs are playable because there is so much content in therm to keep your eye on your characters and the game world you are exploring instead of saying "this looks like garbage" for the most part anyway. For instance: "Fate: Gates of Dawn" (which was never fully released on Amiga), you have up to 28 characters which I still think is a record, The game world is also massive with a starter dungeon that I got lost in on I think the 8th level.

And yes I am bored. I wish I could put the finishing touch's on my base, but not on my backup PC running an i7 860 and I will not get a decent PC sooner than October.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)