Biggest factor for performance

bobrpggamer

Well as I thought, the motherboard is fried. I need to upgrade now in November on my birthday just for kicks. A21 should be out by then.

There are a lot of people that buy piece by piece hardware like one month a motherboard the next the CPU, then the memory. This is the worst thing you can do because if the return window is over then you are stuck with the parts.

I have a power supply tester that will run the case fans, so can buy the case and fans early and test the case fans. The Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Fan/Heatsink and Thermal Grease I have to buy at once and make sure they are working and then RMA one component if necessary.  Even this is a pain the the neck, because you may not know which component may be bad. It could be The CPU, Memory or Motherboard, leaving you to guess which it is.

I hate building computers now, I used to love it back in the 2000s and early 2010s, but I hate doing it now. Its really hard on my ticker at my age, if something goes wrong I have to start over and if that does not work, I could have a heart attack for all I know at my age and my health. But I would never buy a pre-built PC whether Its easier or not I will never go that route.

I am not terribly certain if the video cards I tried are fried too, which sucks because I cannot test the RTX 4070 in the PC I am using now, the best I can do is test the GTX 1080 in this PC and then hope if the RTX 4070 is fried as well, I can RMA it to Gigabyte. I also have a good sound card and a NIC and a hard drive controller that may be fried as well as they were sitting in the dead motherboards PCI Express slots when it got fried. I can test these and buy new ones later but I really hope the RTX 4070ti is OK.

Here's the case I like: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811139169?Item=N82E16811139169 The only problem is no external 5.25 bays, but I do not need it as much as I used to anyway.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

9 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Here's the case I like: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811139169?Item=N82E16811139169 The only problem is no external 5.25 bays, but I do not need it as much as I used to anyway.

I still don't understand spending that much on a case.  The Cooler Master I'm using currently is basically the same, but without the radiator panel inside the case. It was only $89, and fits a 360mm radiator in the front and the top.

I used to have a great case maybe a decade ago.  It cost about $90, had a 320mm fan on top, two160mm fans in front and one 160mm fan in back.  It had an angled section on top with your USB and SATA connections so you could easily reach them.  And it was a full size case, so plenty of room.  That computer never ran hot. It also had a 160mm fan that could go on the side, but I had a tall GPU so it didn't fit.  It was also steel rather than aluminum, so that was a bonus. 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

14 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

I still don't understand spending that much on a case.  The Cooler Master I'm using currently is basically the same, but without the radiator panel inside the case. It was only $89, and fits a 360mm radiator in the front and the top.

Which cooler master case are you talking about?

I spent $300.00 on a Lian Li case in 2012, the one I am using. I had custom braided front panel headers and was amazing at the time, but I hate it now. The case I want is too expensive: https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-core-w100-xl-atx-super-tower/p/N82E16811133302?Item=9SIA8EF5V03053 This one has lots of 5.25 bays to use, for fan controllers and optical drives.

I love large cases and I like lots of fan mounts and room to work in. It is barely a little larger than my Lian Li, so it would be about what I would like. I also need 6 hard drive mounts of which this one has. It has six 3.5 and three 2.5 native bays and mounts.

The only difference in size is that the Lian Li has a lot of aluminum and the Corsair is steel, so it will weigh quite a bit more.

I think the reason I want this one is the hard drive bays. Until I upgrade to 16TB drives, I have one 4tb, three 6tb, one 3tb and two 1tb 2.5 ssds. I remember looking and not finding enough drive bays in any other case.

I know I should get a NAS for these drives but having run of the motherboard is so much faster.

My old case with my dead motherboard:

Spoiler

A2RWoW7.jpg

This thing was a huge pain in the neck to swap or replace hard drives. The corsair will be amazingly simpler.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

I used to have a great case maybe a decade ago.  It cost about $90, had a 320mm fan on top, two160mm fans in front and one 160mm fan in back.  It had an angled section on top with your USB and SATA connections so you could easily reach them.  And it was a full size case, so plenty of room.  That computer never ran hot. It also had a 160mm fan that could go on the side, but I had a tall GPU so it didn't fit.  It was also steel rather than aluminum, so that was a bonus. 😁

This sounds crazy, 320mm fan? Do they even sell these? even the 160mm fan is a little to large for a case unless its on the side panel.

6 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

This sounds crazy, 320mm fan? Do they even sell these? even the 160mm fan is a little to large for a case unless its on the side panel.

I tried looking it up and I was incorrect in my memory from that long ago... they were 120mm and 240mm.  And it was an Antec case.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

I tried looking it up and I was incorrect in my memory from that long ago... they were 120mm and 240mm.  And it was an Antec case.

They do sell 240mm fans and I have seen them mounted on the case panels.

I plan to use six 140mm Noctua fans for the case. It will use up all the chassis headers on the motherboard, so I can raise them from the stock 2000rpms to say 1200rpms and then raise the fans to 2000rpms when I come close to 70c. I would love to do RGB but is way more expensive to do right - with the Corsair commander and Corsair RGB fans.

With my luck these days I will have to RMA a lot of parts. I still do not understand what went wrong with PC after installing the GTX 4070 and then after I installed windows. The GTX 1080 is working in this PC, I tried running a 4K movie with the GTX 670 and it was really choppy, so I put the GTX 1080 Into It and the 4K movies were smooth. The GTX 670 is really only a safety card, if the 1080 fails, then I still have the 670.

Man did this thread change. I sound like a blogger talking about building a new PC.

I think I've only had a problem once with new hardware on a computer I built or upgraded.  It was a Maxtor hard drive that died within maybe a month.  Otherwise, I've never had problems.  Granted, I have come close with a GPU that was longer than expected, but I was able to make that work. 😁

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

I think I've only had a problem once with new hardware on a computer I built or upgraded.  It was a Maxtor hard drive that died within maybe a month.  Otherwise, I've never had problems.  Granted, I have come close with a GPU that was longer than expected, but I was able to make that work. 😁

Maxtor, those drives are ancient, they had them when the Amiga was out. Must have been a Windows 9xx, XP PC.

I never built a PC (owned quite a few older PCs, like Commodore 64 and Amiga) until I put together a Pentium 4. My first build had the PC shutting down over an over and would only stay on a few seconds. Turns out the CPU was overheating. I think I was using an Intel Heatssink/Fan or something. Then I put the largest Heatssink/Fan I could find, it was blowing down onto the motherboard with a massive fan. I then drilled holes in side and added fans there. I went AMD after that, until the Core 2 Quad came out.

I had this puppy here for a Pentium 4:

A3RzUKU.jpg

5 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Maxtor, those drives are ancient, they had them when the Amiga was out. Must have been a Windows 9xx, XP PC.

I never built a PC (owned quite a few older PCs, like Commodore 64 and Amiga) until I put together a Pentium 4. My first build had the PC shutting down over an over and would only stay on a few seconds. Turns out the CPU was overheating. I think I was using an Intel Heatssink/Fan or something. Then I put the largest Heatssink/Fan I could find, it was blowing down onto the motherboard with a massive fan. I then drilled holes in side and added fans there. I went AMD after that, until the Core 2 Quad came out.

I had this puppy here for a Pentium 4:

A3RzUKU.jpg

Nice.  Yeah, that hard drive was a very long time ago.  Heh.  I had one Pentium 75 computer, then went to Cyrix for one computer and have been AMD ever since.  Before the Pentium, I had a 286.