Teragon Tutorials

Tallman Brad

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

Sorry for the late reply.  I didn't see the post here.  Teragon doesn't place town POI by biome.  They are placed by district.  As far as wilderness POI, Teragon will place them based on the biomes in the POI Property List.  This works regardless of whether you make your own biome map or Teragon creates it for you... assuming you add the POI after importing your handmade biome map.

The most common reason is the tiles you have in towns.  If your map is a grid layout (all intersection tiles), you won't have 2 of the skyscrapers because those will never be on an intersection tile, for example.  You can adjust the layout and extra_link values in Read Town Property List to adjust the kinds of tiles you get so you have a greater chance of seeing those skyscrapers.  In addition, if you changed the districts in your Read Town Property List, you may have removed the districts (If I remember correctly, all the skyscrapers are only in the downtown district) that are needed.  Last, the default settings will only create the necessary districts in "center" areas of towns (tiles that are entirely surrounded by other tiles), so if you have towns that are small and don't have center districts, you won't have any of the districts that are listed as center in the Read Town Property List and so will also not get the skyscrapers.  But if you have a megacity, it shouldn't be that small, so that's an unlikely reason.

Feel free to go to the Teragon Discord server in #discussions for help and someone can look over what you are doing and help figure out the cause if this doesn't help.

Thanks for the tips. I have followed a youtube video detailing what settings to use in teragon and in case of read town property list, I haven't changed the "regular_town" line at all, only commented the small_town and oldest_town ones since I don't need that. It worked fine for A20 but I guess something's different in A21.

I'll play around with the layout and extra link values - currently I have them at maze_3 and 0.3 but teragon itself has some interesting notes on that.

19 minutes ago, Blasphemous said:

Thanks for the tips. I have followed a youtube video detailing what settings to use in teragon and in case of read town property list, I haven't changed the "regular_town" line at all, only commented the small_town and oldest_town ones since I don't need that. It worked fine for A20 but I guess something's different in A21.

I'll play around with the layout and extra link values - currently I have them at maze_3 and 0.3 but teragon itself has some interesting notes on that.

Those should work fine if that's how you have it set up.  Nothing really has changed with towns from A20 to A21 beyond having more POI.  Maybe stop by the discord and someone can look at your preset.

Are you using a lot of custom POI that might be competing for that position on the tile?

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 11/7/2023 at 4:35 PM, Blasphemous said:

Zero custom PoIs, only vanilla.

Are you certain none are on the map?  They were changed in A21 to only allow each one time per 10km, which means usually one of each per map unless you have a larger map and then you might get two.  You can fix this with Teragon by setting the poi_duplicate_distance to a lower value and override what vanilla has.

Really enjoying the tool and the tutorials are fantastic.  I was able to create a map, I see the preview, and I see the folder in GeneratedWorlds.  However, when I load the game, the map is blank.  I see my character's hand and the sky and nothing else.  I also noted there is a file in the map folder inside of GeneratedWorlds called install_world.bat that won't execute because it claims biomes.png is being used by another program (it isn't as far as I can tell).  Anyone see whatever mistake I'm making?

22 hours ago, Rothgari said:

Really enjoying the tool and the tutorials are fantastic.  I was able to create a map, I see the preview, and I see the folder in GeneratedWorlds.  However, when I load the game, the map is blank.  I see my character's hand and the sky and nothing else.  I also noted there is a file in the map folder inside of GeneratedWorlds called install_world.bat that won't execute because it claims biomes.png is being used by another program (it isn't as far as I can tell).  Anyone see whatever mistake I'm making?

I can't tell you why that file says it is being used but you can just copy the folder inside the the install_world folder to your mods folder manually.  You need to make sure all files are in the correct place for the game.  If your game is looking for files in %appdata%\7Days2Die\GeneratedWorlds, then that is where the map goes should be.  If it is looking somewhere else, then you need those files in that location.  You also need to be sure you exported (and generated) all files.

I have never seen a completely empty world except when loading the POI editor for the first time but it suggests you don't have the files in the correct location.

Check your logs to see if you have any errors.  And you should verify that your antivirus software has an exclusion for the game and save folders (the sticky post in the support forum explains how to do this).

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 11/10/2023 at 2:24 AM, Riamus said:

Are you certain none are on the map?  They were changed in A21 to only allow each one time per 10km, which means usually one of each per map unless you have a larger map and then you might get two.  You can fix this with Teragon by setting the poi_duplicate_distance to a lower value and override what vanilla has.

I have explicitly removed teragon's entries related to custom PoIs and unticked the relevant tick boxes. Then I double checked everywhere - no custom PoIs.

Anyway, after tweaking some of the parameters again, I now have all of the skyscrapers in my current game.

13 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

I have explicitly removed teragon's entries related to custom PoIs and unticked the relevant tick boxes. Then I double checked everywhere - no custom PoIs.

Anyway, after tweaking some of the parameters again, I now have all of the skyscrapers in my current game.

I wasn't meaning custom POI.  Vanilla skyscrapers are set (in vanilla) to no closer than 10km from themselves, so you can only get one per map unless you have a large enough map to allow them to be more than 10km from themselves.  You can fix this in Teragon by overriding the 10km distance in the POI Property List.  But glad you got it sorted out.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:22 AM, Riamus said:

I wasn't meaning custom POI.  Vanilla skyscrapers are set (in vanilla) to no closer than 10km from themselves, so you can only get one per map unless you have a large enough map to allow them to be more than 10km from themselves.  You can fix this in Teragon by overriding the 10km distance in the POI Property List.  But glad you got it sorted out.

Oh yeah then I misunderstood. I have reduced that minimum distance to 500m, that was one of the first things I did since I already had that for A20.

The problem was that I had no skyscrapers anywhere at all, which I have checked with entity lists and the github map renderer.

Turns out it's the question of tile distance and connectivity, where the skyscraper PoIs require some specific conditions, which were not met.

After adjusting tile size and town property list's maze parameter, I have an amazing map that has everything I need.

Have a look at the preview screenshot.

map.png

Edited by Blasphemous (see edit history)