Don't allow quests in POI's that are too damaged or destroyed -- add a cost to repair the POI to quest again.

Brana420

32 minutes ago, theFlu said:

That sounds like a binary tree with words as values, no? "Word tree", afaik, is a net for predicting sentence structure, which would be pretty "irrelevant" here. May well be used for both of course..

But that still doesn't tell me what you're trying to solve with them; it seems you're just arguing against my "you don't index by name". What was the problem that would require indexing by POI name 1) for this feature 2) that isn't already solved in the game somehow? (quest system already knows what the POIs are, the damage tracking is missing, but doesn't have the POI name to begin with)

(And I said "you don't index by name" because you don't - values on a tree aren't indexes, the structure of a tree doesn't have indexes. That's why you need to seek in it to find the value. Sure, C# calls some such structures "indexers", but they're free to be silly, sadly. You might want to listen to them, I might be a purist, but hey... they can also be wrong... ;) )

So you want to do for loop with indices to find things?

4 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

So you want to do for loop with indices to find things?

I'm going to let you edit that to include the "what are we trying to solve" part first; and then I'm going ask,

"What is this, a job interview? You hiring? No thanks."

1 minute ago, theFlu said:

I'm going to let you edit that to include the "what are we trying to solve" part first; and then I'm going ask,

"What is this, a job interview? You hiring? No thanks."

You dont event know what letter trees are so i would never consider that. Case closed for me.

11 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

That was the original spider zombie.  Before it could jump it used to climb walls.  

Considering they changed it, I would imagine they do not like the climbing zed idea.  It would certainly cause problems with most base setups now that they can dig as well.

It was because the pathing wasn't functional anymore I think and there was no time to fix it at that time.

I hope they bring a climber back because it would fill the hole.

(Dear Santa, I guess I do deserve my coal this year - please deliver it to the nearest power plant in need, they seem to suffering. But I'm sure you understand!

Your's truly,

theFlu)

15 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

the words could have postfixes like _1 _2 for duplicates.

So, the first step for indexing by name is to rename everything? So the name can be a unique identifier. Fair enough, kinda necessary, but..

- So, Timmy_1237987, we're naming things as [Name]_[UID] here?

- Yeah, sounds about right. Why?

- Well, we need to be careful with that UID part, it can't have collisions or concurrency issues or any of that nonsense, right?

- Yeh yeh, that's all trivial, industry standard. Especially simple in a game that runs on two threads.

- Soo, we can generate all the UIDs we want?

- As I said, barely an inconvenience.

- Anything stopping us from, you know, dropping that pointless dozen character string from the front and just using a 4 byte number there instead?

- Well, then we wouldn't be indexing by name, now would we?

- Indeed, dear 81237987->name, indeed.

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

(Dear Santa, I guess I do deserve my coal this year - please deliver it to the nearest power plant in need, they seem to suffering. But I'm sure you understand!

Your's truly,

theFlu)

So, the first step for indexing by name is to rename everything? So the name can be a unique identifier. Fair enough, kinda necessary, but..

- So, Timmy_1237987, we're naming things as [Name]_[UID] here?

- Yeah, sounds about right. Why?

- Well, we need to be careful with that UID part, it can't have collisions or concurrency issues or any of that nonsense, right?

- Yeh yeh, that's all trivial, industry standard. Especially simple in a game that runs on two threads.

- Soo, we can generate all the UIDs we want?

- As I said, barely an inconvenience.

- Anything stopping us from, you know, dropping that pointless dozen character string from the front and just using a 4 byte number there instead?

- Well, then we wouldn't be indexing by name, now would we?

- Indeed, dear 81237987->name, indeed.

Just so you know, Unreal uses this naming scheme, and funnily enough, through hashes it finds through all gameobjects your stuff faster than stupid Unity GameObject.Find().

( in O(1) time )

Don't play like you know more than me, I've been doing this 5 years, I don't need you to educate me.

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

I've been doing this 5 years,

Cool, that's a respectable start for a career. No snark. Without going into any actual detail, I completed my first software project for a defense contractor .. oh geez, what, 19 years ago? I might be getting old. A little database, nothing fancy, but still. Kinda points to our differences here as well.

You're used to the mechanics provided by a game engine, willing to defend them, maybe a little overzealously, but clearly with a decent understanding of them. You're just using the jargon just imprecisely enough that I can have a little amusement by poking at the misnomers.

I haven't done anything serious on a game engine, ever - although I might question if anyone has. You know, "serious".

And with a little snark:

2 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

I don't need you to educate me.

I wouldn't dare to try, dear. ;)

45 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Cool, that's a respectable start for a career. No snark. Without going into any actual detail, I completed my first software project for a defense contractor .. oh geez, what, 19 years ago? I might be getting old. A little database, nothing fancy, but still. Kinda points to our differences here as well.

You're used to the mechanics provided by a game engine, willing to defend them, maybe a little overzealously, but clearly with a decent understanding of them. You're just using the jargon just imprecisely enough that I can have a little amusement by poking at the misnomers.

I haven't done anything serious on a game engine, ever - although I might question if anyone has. You know, "serious".

And with a little snark:

I wouldn't dare to try, dear. ;)

19 years of experience yet having problem understanding hashing with the DEADLY need to index everything. OK

Just now, Cr0wst0rm said:

19 years of experience yet having problem understanding hashing with the DEADLY need to index everything. OK

Anyways if you want to continue this, PM, i don't think anyone here is interested in fights, so next time PM if you wish to continue.

3 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

hashing with the DEADLY need to index everything

Not DEADLY, just a decent grasp of the difference between a hashmap and a proper index; and an educated preference for one of them. But I'm absolutely willing to leave it at that.