Modify Stealth

issa

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this post in hope someone is able to assist me with my current problem regarding Stealth System. As of right now, Zombies are able to hear every single movement as well as seeing you crystal clear during the day past 30 blocks which is quite annoying. I love RP when it comes to open world zombie games like this. I do hide in houses and pretend it's a real time situation and hide from a horde until they move past. However, they hear every. single. thing! It's not fun. Sneaking around for a second triggers the entire horde.

Is it possible to modify the Stealth system through XML so the Zombies only hear me when I do very loud noises or they see me as close as a few meters / blocks away?

Thank you! :D

10 hours ago, issa said:

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this post in hope someone is able to assist me with my current problem regarding Stealth System. As of right now, Zombies are able to hear every single movement as well as seeing you crystal clear during the day past 30 blocks which is quite annoying. I love RP when it comes to open world zombie games like this. I do hide in houses and pretend it's a real time situation and hide from a horde until they move past. However, they hear every. single. thing! It's not fun. Sneaking around for a second triggers the entire horde.

Is it possible to modify the Stealth system through XML so the Zombies only hear me when I do very loud noises or they see me as close as a few meters / blocks away?

Thank you! :D

Just a few questions: Do you have feral sense turned on? Do you use heavy armor? Do you often forget to turn off helmet light at daybreak? Do you maybe forget to put points in the shadow perk according to your level and game progression? Do you have a drone companion, I hear it makes stealth fail, might be a bug(??)

Just asking to make sure it isn't something else that is killing stealth for you. Because I can sneak quite well in daylight when the zombies are far enough away, but granted, less well than it was in previous alphas and stealth is more random.

But to get back to your question: I would suggest looking at the Hide in Shadows perk in progression.xml and maybe just boosting its effect.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

But to get back to your question: I would suggest looking at the Hide in Shadows perk in progression.xml and maybe just boosting its effect.

Or look in the entityclasses file

<!-- Stealth -->
    <property name="MaxViewAngle" value="180"/>
    <property name="SightRange" value="30"/> <!-- distance in m -->
    <property name="SightLightThreshold" value="-2,150"/> <!-- how well lit you have to be for the zombie to see you at min,max range -->

<property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMin" value="-40,5"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. sight capability - "I see you" light value at point blank -->
    <property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMax" value="340,480"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. "I see you" light value at "SightRange" -->
    <property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMin" value="-10,0"/> <!-- same for groaning, not waking -->
    <property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMax" value="200,300"/>

<property name="SleeperNoiseSenseThreshold" value="3,8"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. hearing capability - "I hear something" noise value -->
    <property name="SleeperNoiseWakeThreshold" value="9,12"/>

<property name="SleeperSmellSenseThreshold" value="20,50"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. smell capability - "I smell something" player smell value -->
    <property name="SoundSleeperSenseChance" value=".5"/> <!-- the chance to play "SoundSleeperSense" when "SleeperSmellSenseThreshold" is triggered -->
    <property name="SleeperSmellWakeThreshold" value="40,100"/>

<property name="NoiseAlertThreshold" value="30"/> <!-- DEPRECATED; an awake zombie triggers instantly if touched by the sound range/volume -->
    <property name="SmellAlertThreshold" value="40"/> <!-- for awake zombies -->

This is from zombieTemplateMale

19 hours ago, meganoth said:

Just a few questions: Do you have feral sense turned on? Do you use heavy armor? Do you often forget to turn off helmet light at daybreak? Do you maybe forget to put points in the shadow perk according to your level and game progression? Do you have a drone companion, I hear it makes stealth fail, might be a bug(??)

Just asking to make sure it isn't something else that is killing stealth for you. Because I can sneak quite well in daylight when the zombies are far enough away, but granted, less well than it was in previous alphas and stealth is more random.

I have Feral Sense turned off and I do not wear any armor since the game is pretty early (Day 1-3). I also don't have a helmet light on. As for points into Hide in the Shadows, I do put one point in as soon as possible but it's still very bad. I can consider boosting the perk in the xml.

17 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Or look in the entityclasses file

<!-- Stealth -->
    <property name="SightRange" value="30"/> <!-- distance in m -->
    <property name="SightLightThreshold" value="-2,150"/> <!-- how well lit you have to be for the zombie to see you at min,max range -->

<property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMin" value="-40,5"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. sight capability - "I see you" light value at point blank -->
    <property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMax" value="340,480"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. "I see you" light value at "SightRange" -->
    <property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMin" value="-10,0"/> <!-- same for groaning, not waking -->
    <property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMax" value="200,300"/>

<property name="SleeperNoiseSenseThreshold" value="3,8"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. hearing capability - "I hear something" noise value -->
    <property name="SleeperNoiseWakeThreshold" value="9,12"/>

<property name="SleeperSmellSenseThreshold" value="20,50"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. smell capability - "I smell something" player smell value -->
    <property name="SoundSleeperSenseChance" value=".5"/> <!-- the chance to play "SoundSleeperSense" when "SleeperSmellSenseThreshold" is triggered -->
    <property name="SleeperSmellWakeThreshold" value="40,100"/>

<property name="NoiseAlertThreshold" value="30"/> <!-- DEPRECATED; an awake zombie triggers instantly if touched by the sound range/volume -->
    <property name="SmellAlertThreshold" value="40"/> <!-- for awake zombies -->

This is from zombieTemplateMale

For this, is it possible to modify these values as a mod so they would affect other players? I know that copy pasting them in this format wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance guys!

46 minutes ago, issa said:

For this, is it possible to modify these values as a mod so they would affect other players? I know that copy pasting them in this format wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance guys!

Yes, you can create a modlet that once installed in the mod folder, would modify these values in game.

To affect others, this needs to be loaded on the computer acting as the server.  Since these are only xml edits, modifying the server file will change the values for all players - no need for them to download the file also.

52 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Yes, you can create a modlet that once installed in the mod folder, would modify these values in game.

To affect others, this needs to be loaded on the computer acting as the server.  Since these are only xml edits, modifying the server file will change the values for all players - no need for them to download the file also.

Does the modlet need specific syntax? I remember changing the value of the trap HP required me to do a different syntax than the one in the xml file. Would it technically work if I created a modlet named after the xml like entityclasses.xml and then did something like this in it:

<property name="SightRange" value="5"/> <!-- distance in m -->

Thank you!

Apologies, I'm still in the learning phase of modding 7 Days to Die. I looked at the thread you sent and according to what I'm reading, this should be the correct way I hope?

<configs>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='SightRange']/@value">5</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='SightLightThreshold']/@value">-500</set>
</configs>

Edited by issa
New Code (see edit history)

Yes, that should work.  To verify that the changes took place, you can check in the save game folder for the game name.  In it, it will have a folder that downloads the configuration data for the game session including copies of the xml files.  If the modlet worked as intended, you should be able to open the entityclasses xml file and around that area, it will note that the value was changed by X mod - x being the name of your modlet.