Server admin opinion on client-side mod

I'd like to develop a client-side UI enhancement that could benefit many players. However I'd like to hear perspectives on whether and how this benefit could advantage a player over other players without it; something I would avoid if possible.

The first stage of the mod would be to add visual representation of the game's speech and audio cues in the form of various speech bubbles, with the length and direction of the tail indicating relative direction and distance of the source. I know there's some software that helps deaf gamers enjoy games, but I think something integrated with the game would be better, and would be helpful for players who need to turn sound off out of consideration for others and/or the need to stay alert for sounds in their real environment.

The 2nd stage would be to unshackle the dialog interface, so it would be possible to interact with NPC's without losing the freedom to navigate and interact with the rest of the environment. The ADV-style, face front dialog windows are good for ADV and turn-based games, but out of place for 3D sandbox. This would prepare for the 3rd stage, introducing the need and providing the ability to engage in critical interactions with NPCs while under crisis conditions. While I don't expect this to be perfectly seamless, I want it to be agile enough that a player gaining proficiency in using it can defend themselves against situational threats with added inter-character drama.

8 hours ago, enkephalin07 said:

I'd like to develop a client-side UI enhancement that could benefit many players. However I'd like to hear perspectives on whether and how this benefit could advantage a player over other players without it; something I would avoid if possible.

The first stage of the mod would be to add visual representation of the game's speech and audio cues in the form of various speech bubbles, with the length and direction of the tail indicating relative direction and distance of the source. I know there's some software that helps deaf gamers enjoy games, but I think something integrated with the game would be better, and would be helpful for players who need to turn sound off out of consideration for others and/or the need to stay alert for sounds in their real environment.

The 2nd stage would be to unshackle the dialog interface, so it would be possible to interact with NPC's without losing the freedom to navigate and interact with the rest of the environment. The ADV-style, face front dialog windows are good for ADV and turn-based games, but out of place for 3D sandbox. This would prepare for the 3rd stage, introducing the need and providing the ability to engage in critical interactions with NPCs while under crisis conditions. While I don't expect this to be perfectly seamless, I want it to be agile enough that a player gaining proficiency in using it can defend themselves against situational threats with added inter-character drama.

For the first stage, and in particular audio cues, Bdubyah created a mod which serves to provide a visual cue for proximity that shares direction of entity at range, and then type of entity and level of 'emergency' when the proximity is at close range. Things which are typically shared by the audio cues matching subtle cues from range and clear cues when closer. This allows the HUD to integrate familiar features and icons with minimal main screen intrusion.

The speech bubble/ranged speech bubble interaction is certainly one for the NPCMod creators to consider. 7D2D has the scrolling wheel type function for selecting ammo, and for some games this is used to good effect when the cursor is pointed on a player/NPC/entity on the HUD and triggered for interacting.

This would potentially benefit all player types, and serve as just calling out over distance, or using the limited range proximity voice chat feature.