Animations required for transition of objects and texture upscaling as player moves closer to an object

Burialfaith

Greetings,

I noticed while playing 7 days to die that objects in the distance, trees for example, will look very rustic (as compared to close quarter tree with wind animation) then as the player moves towards the object ,when he reaches a specific distance towards the object, that object will load new forms (add 3D objects to the first object (additional branches to trees) and as the player continue moving towards the object, it will eventually transform into another updated 3D version of the object with better textures and addition of animations.

I understand this is not a process solely linked to 7 Days to Die as I saw it happen in other games such as GTA5 online; it rather seems to be the way to go, for now.

Would it be that hard, I mean possible at all, to have: animations for transitions of 3D objects and textures upscaling as the player moves towards the objects? Or any other way to reduce the unrealistic feeling created by having items popping around him as he moves for the sake of improving realism???

B

Edited by Burialfaith
some senteces werent fully clear (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Doing that would further destroy this game's performance more than it already is. By design, this game is not optimised so such a thing would surely damage performance even more than it already is. Top end systems can't even run this game at its maximum graphical settings without issue. This game is just poorly designed. At least on GTA online, you can max all the settings and everything looks great. Usually the pop-in objects in GTA are a person's GPU, CPU and memory not being able to process information fast enough. That isn't the case with 7 Days To Die. It doesn't matter how much computing power you throw at the game, it will still do it because why? Bad game design and choices.

Edited by youcantgetridofme (see edit history)

Surely

On 7/13/2022 at 1:49 AM, Burialfaith said:

Greetings,

I noticed while playing 7 days to die that objects in the distance, trees for example, will look very rustic (as compared to close quarter tree with wind animation) then as the player moves towards the object ,when he reaches a specific distance towards the object, that object will load new forms (add 3D objects to the first object (additional branches to trees) and as the player continue moving towards the object, it will eventually transform into another updated 3D version of the object with better textures and addition of animations.

I understand this is not a process solely linked to 7 Days to Die as I saw it happen in other games such as GTA5 online; it rather seems to be the way to go, for now.

Would it be that hard, I mean possible at all, to have: animations for transitions of 3D objects and textures upscaling as the player moves towards the objects? Or any other way to reduce the unrealistic feeling created by having items popping around him as he moves for the sake of improving realism???

B

Calculating  such a transition in real time would be possible but would take a lot of processing power to do. Not sure if there exists any game that does this, AAA-games probably just use a lot more intermediate pictures to make the transitions less noticable. And with that blow up the size of the game and the memory footprint.

7D2D has the problem of being a voxel game so it needs a lot more processing power to start with. And TFP is a small developer who can't spend the same resources on graphical quality as a big developer.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...