my game is on SSD but my HDD is writing all the time

KozbinKontra

i installed game on SSD where is my OS and steam installed also and when i get in game my hdd is writing and chokeing and game is all laggy so i reinstalled game and no change started new game no change i was playing offline solo. and then i lost it and i physically disconnected the hard drive from my motherboard and game worked like charm. i noticed that my ssd space was 9 gb more occupied after i removed HDD. but i need my hdd so can someone PLEASE help me solve this. 

You can check in resource monitor (enter "resmon" in windows search and hit enter) what files are accessed on which drive at the moment, maybe there you see which one it might be.

you might have a automatic pagefile on it, it gets used once your system RAM gets full to offload.  usually indiacted by read/writing to a file called pagefile.sys

you can disable this by following this guide:

https://docs.us.sios.com/dkse/8.6.4/en/topic/disable-automatically-manage-paging-file-size-for-all-drives

when disconnecting the HDD, your pagefile might move to your SSD (not great, but better than on HDD). to prevent a pagefile from being used/getting large, you might need to add some more RAM.

i once had a defective HDD, it didnt had any system or steam library on it but it still bogged down my computer. after removing it, it went to normal again. yours might be defective. consider making a backup before its too late.

Are you absolutely sure Steam didn't install the game on a different drive? Because that really should be impossible unless you have pagefile enabled on that drive instead of the SSD. 

Archived