Construction question - no yellow or red warning?

Prydonian

Hi, all.  It's mostly in the title, but I'm trying to solve a mystery.  I'm building a roof, and every once in a while I'll get a small collapse without warning.  I'm using diagonal plates, and occasionally I'll place one that'll take down the adjacent plate or two, with no yellow or red about-to-collapse warning at all.  They're in consistent locations and easy enough to avoid, but I can't work out why there's no advance notification.  Anyone know?

You might be able to figure it out using the "Show Stability" option that is available if you type "F1" then "dm" in the console.

Press enter then esc. to see the debug options.

I did some testing with the "plate diagonal" and if it's a cobblestone shape connecting to wood, it goes from stable (no

color) directly to red. This makse sense considering woods lesser ability to hold weight. If it's cobblestone connected to cobblestone,

it goes to yellow then red as expected.

Thanks for the advice!  I gave it a try, but to my chagrin it looks like only the person hosting the game is allowed to use debug features, and that's not me.  My friend who hosts was certainly happy to learn it, though, lol.  I ended up going into a single player game and building a copy of the structure so I could take a look.  For whatever reason, I wasn't able to duplicate the no-warning collapses; I got the usual color-coded notifications every time.  I don't know if it was a fluke, something to do with the ground I built on, or something they addressed in the update, but  I couldn't make it happen.  I don't want to destabilize my roof again on the real structure, so I haven't checked to see if I can still make it happen in that game. 

Yeah, it was just frame shapes to frame shapes, so all the same load-bearing capacity.  Weird.

Archived