Help moving multiplayer game to dedicated server?

Prydonian

Bear with me, I have very little experience with this kind of thing.

I play with a friend, and the game is hosted locally on his machine.  Thus, as you know, I’m unable to access the game unless he’s already in it.  We’d like to set it up so that I can launch it myself and work on things when he’s not around.  Questions:

1.) From what I’ve been able to learn, that‘s what a dedicated server is for.  Right?

2.) Is it possible to do this with the world we’ve already created, or would we have to start from scratch?

Thank you, fellow survivors, for your assistance.  

• Prydonian changed the title to Moving existing multiplayer game to dedicated server?

Hi all - I’m cross-posting this from the multiplayer section, since it seems to have slipped under the radar.  I hope that’s alright!

I’m trying to find out if it’s possible to migrate an existing multiplayer game onto a dedicated server so that any of the players can log on at any time, rather than our current setup which requires the host to be in-game for anyone else to access it.  

Is this something that can be done, or would we have to start from scratch?  And if it is possible, could someone point me to directions as to how? My Googling has been to no avail.

Thank you, fellow survivors, for your assistance.  

1) Yes, that would be a dedicated server you need.

2) Yes, you can move your existing world and savegame to the server. The important thing is the savegame, the world could even be recreated if you use the same name and seed.

On Windows you'll find world and savegame in %APPDATA%/Roaming/7 Days to Die/ or similar.

The dedicated server gets its configuration from a file called serverconfig.xml, you just have to fill in the right values.

This guide should prove helpful: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/7_Days_to_Die_Dedicated_Server

(I merged both threads, no crossposting please)

Many, many thanks.  After significantly more searching I finally found some info (I tried to take down my second post, but couldn't), but this is incredibly helpful.  I really appreciate it.  And sorry about the cross-post; that's good to know. 

If I run into trouble during the process, could I perhaps ask you for guidance? 

Archived