Functional Rest Mechanic & usable furniture?

SkitzTGPG

I had a thought I'd like to share with you all, if you'll indulge me for a moment.

The game has radial menus, static and craftable chairs, tables, etc. It also has a stamina mechanic, and food/drink that buffs those stats already.

Would it be too out of place to suggest a rest mechanic to the game? I feel like it would add another level of urgency/time management to the game if you got a buff from resting fully (And perhaps a debuff if you don't get any rest?) The radial menus could have an option where you press and hold "e" on chairs, couches, or beds that would give you the option to pick up or use the furniture.

If we were to go in depth, perhaps a different level of rest bonus for different types? Spend a few minutes in a bed, for example, would grant a higher bonus than if you were to sit on a chair (or floor, or couch). Perhaps if you past 72 in-game hours without any rest you receive a balanced debuff? The game literally already has a fatigue mechanic. What if there was an alternative to vitamins (Which, in my experience, has done little to nothing to alleviate my fatigue). Resting would add a time-urgency situation that, like waiting for sprained/broken limbs, required a waiting period to wear off unless you rested? Maybe if you rest for 5 in-game minutes, you get a 3 minute stamina regen buff? Or maybe you get a buff to digestion?

I see a lot of pieces here that could really work in tandem for a suitable rest mechanic. Plus, since the Pimps like ramping up challenge, making sure you're rested before the Horde could be interesting from a time-budgeting perspective. I'm throwing ideas out because for one, that seems to be the purpose of this forum, but also because I've used mods that add this in the past, to some degree of success.

Obviously sleeping through morning would be difficult if not completely infeasible as the game stands, but what's wrong with a little nap? Kicking your feet up for a moment? Plopping down in one of those Adirondack chairs and crackin' open a cold one with the boyz?

Lots of games have sitting/laying down in for roleplay or cosmetic purposes, but the buff system could lend itself handily, in my opinion, toward a balanced rest system. It would give us a reason to use those animations/furniture. And it would really enhance those folks who love to build big, extravagant, almost luxurious bases if they could also, like, live in them instead of look at them.

I know it is something that other survival-adjacent games have implemented to great effect, but I'm not gonna mention 'em here because that seems impolite. I'm not a game developer, in fact just trying to mess with the xml frightens me, I just see several avenues in which I think it could work. I know it's not something the devs are looking at too closely, but in a game where immersion is blended with arcade-y gameplay, I feel like a soft rest mechanic wouldn't be unwelcome. Of course, I speak for myself.

The level of detail put into gun mods, loading animations, textures, POIs, character models, etc. is juxtaposed by the inability to do anything other than stand, crouch, or jump. We can break through windows, build towers, but can't sit? It seems... flat to me. But that's just me. I know this topic has been brought up a couple of times in the past but I wanted to share my dream and see if others are as interested as I am.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely don't see the need for a time skip function - night time's danger is in having to do things while keeping quiet, right? But what if you're napping before dawn to ditch the overtired debuff when all of a sudden, you hear some commotion at your base's front door...

I would love to see more survival mechanics being added and returned to the game.

For sitting you could use a slow 3th person cam spinning around the character slowing down food and drink consumption.

Sleep could use a fade to black then return playing the respawn animation restoring some health.

Beds and furniture should give a home bonus this could include powered appliances to make food and drinks.

The main thing is beds should be able to be reset as a spawn though, 

I think rest is a great idea for a mechanic and would really spice things up when for example you overnight in a wasteland T5. You play it quiet enough that you don't get the neverending spawns, but there's always the risk of street spawns coming in and waking you up into a bad situation. Especially if you snore loudly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, Flycatcher said:

The main thing is beds should be able to be reset as a spawn though, 

The craftable bed can be set as your spawn point, although placing a bedroll down afterwards for whatever reason will reset your spawn point to that bedroll until you reset it to the bed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 12:13 PM, SkitzTGPG said:

I definitely don't see the need for a time skip function - night time's danger is in having to do things while keeping quiet, right? But what if you're napping before dawn to ditch the overtired debuff when all of a sudden, you hear some commotion at your base's front door...

I didn't OP's original comment as necessarily as a time skip function. Most of us that have been playing 7dtd since the beginning - such as myself - understand the reasons why there's no sleep to skip nighttime. Personally, the option to rest/nap would be awesome - a minor timeskip, like an hour or two for the 'realism' + a minor buff, and removal of fatigue/debuffs/required for healing times, would spice up gameplay quite nicely. And, one could code in the possibility of a negative 'effect' by abusing the nap function too many times in a row, like zombies spawn outside your base and start knocking on the door. 

I love hardcore survival games, and while I understand TFP's reasons for not putting in a "Minecraft skip the night, skip the danger" aspect, I feel they're kind of hamstringing their survival game by deliberately trying to not be Minecraft. Why even have fatigue, the need for food, water, etc if you're not going to include some sort of rest mechanic - even just sitting down in a chair as OP suggested. Doesn't even have to include a time skip, just x time spent laying on a bedroll/bed, or seated in a chair etc. People literally cannot go without sleep, we go crazy and eventually die - which in itself would be an interesting aspect to add to the game.