RangerMod -- arrows, bow mods, a spear that stabs, and some day, more (alpha 20)

kic

oqlTTAx.png

Download the mod here (github): RangerMod

Download the mod here (Nexus): RangerMod

Terrible (brief) video of some stuff the mod adds here: Clicky

NOTE: This mod is for alpha 20. It has not been tested on previous versions so I have no idea what it'll break, if anything. Use at your own risk on previous versions.

As of version .3, this relatively small alpha 20 mod features (TL;DR):

* Eight new arrows (one utility, seven utility/offense)
* Three new bows (they're different from vanilla bows; recycled visual assets from vanilla)
* Useful item descriptions (read them!)
* Three new mods (two for bows, one for chest armor)
* Seven new books and various schematics
* Bundles (bulk crafting) for the included arrows (also unlocked via perks)
* Three spears you can stab with (stone/iron/steel) and can't accidentally yeet across the map
* Five quests
* Fun

If you're looking for a realistic mod, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a fun mod that gives archery a little zip, then bingo. These items (arrows, more specifically) are fairly powerful. Because of that, they can only be crafted, and they're somewhat expensive to make. The bows also add new tactical options for players, allowing one to further refine the path they want to take as a wasteland ranger. The new spears make it so that you can use a spear and not be mocked by everyone because these spears don't suck. Various other unique items to be found via quests.

Important note: all this stuff (spears aside) is for bows; one of the item mods can be installed on the crossbow, that's all. This is arrows, not bolts.

I have not tested this with multiplayer. It should work on a server. Install it on the server and clients, but note that it's not balanced with multiplayer in mind. Also, the arrows more or less won't do anything against players, at least, I don't think they will.

If you want more info, there's an obnoxiously long readme file in the zip and viewable on the github that explains pretty much everything.

NOTE part 2, the notening: if you're already using mods that add arrows and include them on the radial menu, you're probably going to run into issues. RangerMod makes it so you have more than 10 arrows on the radial menu, but not enough to account for all of the other mods out there. Basically, use other archery mods at your own risk. Even if the combination of mods does technically work, some mods modify vanilla game items, meaning that you're getting a weird combination of things that was never planned nor accounted for.

NOTE part 3, the renotening: I've been updating the mod as I go and haven't yet broken my saved game, but you should back up yours just to be safe.

v.31 hotfix to get quests to spawn in the correct loot.

v.32 Bug fixes and changes: weapon damage (shotgun pistol buffed) and loot spawning (slightly more spawning of Midnight's books).

v.33 Finally fixed the bug on the Reaper spear so it now correctly requires a 5 point investment into spears to grant an additional jump height. Probably something else fixed but I don't remember what.

Cheers.

Edited by kic
v.33 now available (see edit history)

This very likely is a problem on my end, but I can't manage to get the entire list of arrows to actually show on the radial menu in a useable way. When the radial menu pops up, it caps at 8 slots, and instead of making the circle bigger to accommodate the additional arrows, it has them overlap. In your video, you managed to have the radial menu show 10 slots, how did you achieve that?

On 1/15/2022 at 6:54 AM, thececilmaster said:

This very likely is a problem on my end, but I can't manage to get the entire list of arrows to actually show on the radial menu in a useable way. When the radial menu pops up, it caps at 8 slots, and instead of making the circle bigger to accommodate the additional arrows, it has them overlap. In your video, you managed to have the radial menu show 10 slots, how did you achieve that?

I haven't seen this happen yet. I'm not running anything on my machine that changes the menu since I've tried this mod on computers that have a fresh install straight from Steam, and they all give me the full radial ammo menu.

The only thing I can think of right now is the file somehow got corrupted when downloaded and the items.xml file is broken. At the bottom of that file (if you're unfamiliar with these files, you can open it in a web browser and it won't do anything except show you the contents) you should have a bunch of these (different for each bow/arrow):

<append xpath="/items/item[@name='gunBowT0PrimitiveBow'] /property[@class='Action0']/property[@name='Magazine_items']/@value">,ammoArrowBreach</append>

One for each bow per each arrow, 15 total. (You may see 18 of them--that's fine. I forgot to remove something that I couldn't get to work, but it shouldn't cause the issue you're seeing.) You can verify the file looks correct by looking on github: click into the "RangerMod-kic" folder and diving into Config and then click the items.xml to see what it should look like.

One other thought: I need to repackage the mod, so make sure that the "RangerMod-kic" folder is the one in your mods directory, and that the contents of the RanderMod-kic folder are the Config and UIAtlases folders. If you have another RangerMod folder inside the first one, pull that out and put it in the mods directory, and then try the mod again.

I'll keep poking around to see if I can come up with an answer.

• kic changed the title to RangerMod -- arrows, bow mods, a spear that stabs, and some day, more (alpha 20)
  • 1 month later...
On 4/5/2022 at 5:39 PM, Skril said:

hey kick though I would let you know when you use SMX menu+UI revamp you get this error with the bow. If you know any fix please let me know 
https://imgur.com/a/nrvLDjE

I am having a Similar issue. I think it has to do with the compatibility between the UI Files. However, For me, it only affects the Bows (I have tested it on the Wooden Bow, Compound Bow, and Wooden Reaper bow), Itt does not affect any Crossbow or Gun. It also only happens when I press the R button to Reload or to bring up the radial Menu. It will actually open the Menu, even though my menu is not Mapped to my R button. Then it will flash the console with that error, but it only pops up once for me. I have not found a workaround just yet

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, ScholarDo said:

I hate Vanilla spears! Thank you for figuring this out!

I do have a question though: Is there a way I can take the archery/bow changes out?

Easily? No. You'd have to comb through the files and remove everything pertaining to bows/archery in each individual file. It's not difficult, per se, it's just tedious.

• 6 months later...

Just updated to v.33 which includes a fix to make spears work how I originally wanted them (namely, invest in SPEARS perk to unlock extra jump height). Probably some other fixes I can't remember since it's been forever since I updated the mod.