how to silence traders ?

Kostriktor

Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in here, but you might try making a mod that removes the Sound references for each trader in the sounds.xml, I'm new to modding, but it looks to me like each trader has their own set of sound files referenced. 

for trader jen the greeting it look like the line is:

<SoundDataNode name="trader_jenlikefirstgreet"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_VO"/>
    <Noise ID="1" noise="7" time="3" muffled_when_crouched="0.5"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/VO/Trader/Jen/trader_jen_firstgreet_01"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/VO/Trader/Jen/trader_jen_firstgreet_02"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/VO/Trader/Jen/trader_jen_firstgreet_03"/>
    <LocalCrouchVolumeScale value="1.0"/> <CrouchNoiseScale value="0.5"/> <NoiseScale value="1"/> <MaxVoices value="10"/> <MaxRepeatRate value="1.111"/> </SoundDataNode>

I think that if you made a mod with the line:

<remove xpath="/sounds/SoundDataNode[starts-with(@name='trader_jenlikefirstgreet')]" /> in it's sounds.xml might be what you need to remove that sound, but to be honest, I'm new to modding so I could be wrong and I have no idea what the effect of removing the sounds would be. but if I'm correct, you would just need to duplicate it for the other trader sounds you want removed.

If I can tomorrow, I will try to test it and see. If no one else has replied by then I will let you know what I find.

1 hour ago, kryzzk said:

<remove xpath="/sounds/SoundDataNode[starts-with(@name='trader_jenlikefirstgreet')]" />

I am no expert either, but if amended slightly to; <remove xpath="/sounds/SoundDataNode[contains(@name='trader')]"/> I think it should rip out all the trader nodes.

14 hours ago, Ananais said:

I am no expert either, but if amended slightly to; <remove xpath="/sounds/SoundDataNode[contains(@name='trader')]"/> I think it should rip out all the trader nodes.

I don't think he wants to remove all the trader sounds though, just them talking so unless someone with more experience says how to do it, it will talk a little trial and error to figure out exactly how to do what he wants done.

EDITthat won't work, it throws and error and doesn't remove the sounds. I will keep trying and see if I can figure out the correct code, but with any luck, someone who is a more experienced modder will say how to do it.

Edited by kryzzk (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

At the risk of necroing an old thread I was able to sort out the sounds.xml xpath to make it happen in case somebody else lands here from a search engine trying to sort it out too:

<remove xpath="/Sounds/SoundDataNode[starts-with(@name, 'trader')]"/>