A20 appreciation

Sproingo

Hey guys and gals.

839.7 hours played (which doesn't make an expert in anything).

Just wanted to say how cool this new patch is.
Is it perfect, do I like everything in it?  Not yet, but FP are going in right direction.
It is more challenging for sure. Farmer is no longer mechanic that is 100% guaranteed. That's why you have to diversify, go to other places for food (cough snow biome).
My main concern is lack of randomness when mission resets.

Here are my top 3 favorite games of all times, in no particular order: 7DTD, Subnautica (origanal) and Terraria.

Cheers,

I'm really enjoying it.  I liked A16, played A17 and it was too linear after a bit.  Just kill, level, perk build anything. It lost the appeal without the RNG for me. Didn't touch A18.  Played at the very end of A19.  A20 is great with the cities and RNG items.  Really liking the new play-throughs.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the game entirely. It's certainly fun, but the hordes are just a nuisance, and turning them off makes the game feel dull. I still haven't found the proper balance for myself in it yet.

If I enable them, then it's a quest and an endless gunpowder mining operation for the next horde until I can find the materials for a kill box. If I disable them, c then mining for nitrate and coal is pointless since I rarely need to use ammo and I already get so much. The world also becomes dull and boring if all you do is quest and smelt iron/stone for base building. My worlds for singleplayer never reached beyond 30 days in A19.6 while my A20 worlds have yet to go past day 8.

It's not a bad or content lacking game, it just feels like something is missing. I just can't figure out what it is.

3 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

It's not a bad or content lacking game, it just feels like something is missing. I just can't figure out what it is.

100% agreed. I've got 721 hours. I used to have endless hours of fun trying to build up to defend my base. But the current direction has seemed to limit horde attacks and promote exploring.

I remember in prior versions, zombies would absolutely TEAR through the ground to get to you. Screamers and hordes would constantly harass you. And finding good loot was a positive experience that you knew would help your goal of getting through the next day or the next hoard.

But I guess too many people complained about the screamers, they then updated the zombie AI so they're not aggressive diggers anymore, and loot is more abundant than it has ever been (with the exception of RNG for schematics).

It no longer feels like an apocalyptic base-building survival game. It now feels like an exploring RNG based-game that happens to have zombies.

Edited by gecko2015 (see edit history)