Remove Early Quest Resource Indicators (nav_objects.xml)

bigstep70

I'm not sure if this has been addressed (modded) yet, but I can not stand the hand-holding overlay icons that hover above rocks, shrubs and nests for the coinciding early quests.

I made this quick and dirty mod (aka:hack) to get rid of them.

The icon-overlay is yellow in color, so I just made it black and transparent. I also took away the pulsing effect just to be on the safe side.

I'm not great (or even proficient) at xpath modding so here are the code changes in the nav_objects.xml file... if anyone wants to xpath/modlet this go right ahead. I'm sure it will be appreciated by people not wanting/willing to dig thru the xml files.

Spoiler

White = the section/header that needs changes, look for/find this in your Drive:\7days Folder\Data\Config\nav_objects.xml

Orange = property name/label (ie: color,has_pulse)

Red = value that has to be changed

Green = my own comments

<nav_object_class name="quest_resource">
<onscreen_settings>
<property name="sprite_name" value="ui_game_symbol_resource"/>
<property name="min_distance" value="0"/>
<property name="max_distance" value="-1"/>
<property name="color" value="0,0,0,0"/><!--removes the "cheaty/dunce-cap/look right here" icons for beginning quests -->
<property name="has_pulse" value="false"/><!--removes the pulse effect, just in case-->
<property name="offset" value="0,0.5,0" />
</onscreen_settings>
</nav_object_class>

I only changed the color and pulse effect so as to not mess with the code too much.

I know it's there to help new players, those of us that don't see to well, overly shady area under trees... etc, etc... but for those of us that have 100's or even 1000's of hours in-game I found it just a tad bit ridiculous... like, "I want my buh-buh, I want my blankie... I want my Mommy!" :)

Edited by bigstep70 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, bigstep70 said:

I'm not sure if this has been addressed (modded) yet, but I can not stand the hand-holding overlay icons that hover above rocks, shrubs and nests for the coinciding early quests.

I made this quick and dirty mod (aka:hack) to get rid of them.

The icon-overlay is yellow in color, so I just made it black and transparent. I also took away the pulsing effect just to be on the safe side.

I'm not great (or even proficient) at xpath modding so here are the code changes in the nav_objects.xml file... if anyone wants to xpath/modlet this go right ahead. I'm sure it will be appreciated by people not wanting/willing to dig thru the xml files.

Hide contents

White = the section/header that needs changes, look for/find this in your Drive:\7days Folder\Data\Config\nav_objects.xml

Orange = property name/label (ie: color,has_pulse)

Red = value that has to be changed

Green = my own comments

<nav_object_class name="quest_resource">
<onscreen_settings>
<property name="sprite_name" value="ui_game_symbol_resource"/>
<property name="min_distance" value="0"/>
<property name="max_distance" value="-1"/>
<property name="color" value="0,0,0,0"/><!--removes the "cheaty/dunce-cap/look right here" icons for beginning quests -->
<property name="has_pulse" value="false"/><!--removes the pulse effect, just in case-->
<property name="offset" value="0,0.5,0" />
</onscreen_settings>
</nav_object_class>

I only changed the color and pulse effect so as to not mess with the code too much.

I know it's there to help new players, those of us that don't see to well, overly shady area under trees... etc, etc... but for those of us that have 100's or even 1000's of hours in-game I found it just a tad bit ridiculous... like, "I want my buh-buh, I want my blankie... I want my Mommy!" :)

I haven't tested this, but feel free to try, just to avoid modifying vanilla game files. :) This should be quests.xml file of your mod:

<configs>
	<remove xpath="/quests/quest/objective/modifier/property[@name='nav_object' and @value='quest_resource']"/>
</configs>

This will remove the nav_object properties with quest_resource value from all quests, but it looks like it's a part of its own modifier node, so it may require a different treatment, perhaps removal of the whole modifier node if it contains this particular nav_object, we will see, but feel free to test this for now, and let me know how it goes, I can walk you through additional changes when needed.

So... I tested this (above) tid-bit of code on three different maps/fresh starts and alas it does not work the way my transparency mod does. The resource overlay, unfortunately, still hovers above the items, but thanks for the input. That said, it is defiantly the nav_objects.xml file that needs to be altered not the quests.xml. I don't want to mess with the quests, just the display of the icon itself.

Edited by bigstep70 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, bigstep70 said:

So... I tested this (above) tid-bit of code on three different maps/fresh starts and alas it does not work the way my transparency mod does. The resource overlay, unfortunately, still hovers above the items, but thanks for the input. That said, it is defiantly the nav_objects.xml file that needs to be altered not the quests.xml. I don't want to mess with the quests, just the display of the icon itself.

Patience my friend, I said I haven't tested it, but that doesn't mean I can't make it work. I promise this one works! :)DOWNLOAD HERE.