Hunter Mod in A20 PvP

HighImCody

Firstly, hi there. LOOOOONG time player, first time poster. I couldn't find crystal clarity on this anywhere, including the patch notes.

I started playing right before voxels were swapped over, from being diamond-shaped.  😂
I'm sure if I look on my Steam account I have photos of my old alpha bases. Such a great time.
I have a friend who won't come back to the game until they bring the "Radar Compass" back.  🤣

But my question-

It appears the Hunter Mod was reworded from;
" +100% damage to living beings." to "+25% damage to Animals" since I last played (A19 iirc)

Does this mean that this mod is no longer used in PvP?
If so, what are your setups for PvP looking like?

Mine used to be-
SMG - Muzz Brake / Hunter / Fore Grip / Drum Mag

M60 - Barrel Extender / Hunter / Fore Grip / Drum Mag

Sniper - Barrel Extender / Hunter / Bipod / 8x Scope

Thank you.

Edited by HighImCody (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, HighImCody said:

It appears the Hunter Mod was reworded from;
" +100% damage to living beings." to "+25% damage to Animals" since I last played (A19 iirc)

Does this mean that this mod is no longer used in PvP?

Yes. They changed the Hunter Mod to look for the "animal" tag on entities, which includes zombie animals (vultures, bears, dogs). They removed the "player" tag from the list as well.

If you are interested, I have a tiny modlet which used to "fix" A19 so the mod actually only hurt living creatures. It still does that, removing the zombie animals from the list and optionally (through a small text edit) you can add players back into the mix. If you just want to add players and not remove zombie animals, then you could use the modlet for that too.

50 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Yes. They changed the Hunter Mod to look for the "animal" tag on entities, which includes zombie animals (vultures, bears, dogs). They removed the "player" tag from the list as well.

If you are interested, I have a tiny modlet which used to "fix" A19 so the mod actually only hurt living creatures. It still does that, removing the zombie animals from the list and optionally (through a small text edit) you can add players back into the mix. If you just want to add players and not remove zombie animals, then you could use the modlet for that too.

Thank you! I saw that some more tech-savvy members of the community were able to check for [Animal], [Zombie], [Player], etc tags in the past. I figured that'd be the best way to have a definitive answer to this. You rock!

If anyone PvP's I'd love to hear what you replaced your Hunter mod with. I'm between Cripple 'Em and just throwing on a Laser or Retracting Stock.  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, HighImCody said:

If anyone PvP's I'd love to hear what you replaced your Hunter mod with. I'm between Cripple 'Em and just throwing on a Laser or Retracting Stock.  🤷‍♂️

I do not PvP, but I got some bad news I'm afraid. It looks like the Cripple 'Em mod targets entities with the "walker" tag on them:

<requirement name="EntityTagCompare" target="other" tags="walker"/>

And sadly the player entity does not have that tag. Easy fix of course - add walker here or add 'player' above.

<entity_class name="playerMale">
    <property name="EntityType" value="Player"/>
    <property name="Tags" value="entity,player,human"/>

Find a friend to shoot in the legs repeatedly to make sure the fix works.

Just now, Boidster said:

I do not PvP, but I got some bad news I'm afraid. It looks like the Cripple 'Em mod targets entities with the "walker" tag on them:

<requirement name="EntityTagCompare" target="other" tags="walker"/>

And sadly the player entity does not have that tag. Easy fix of course - add walker here or add 'player' above.

<property name="EntityType" value="Player"/>
    <property name="Tags" value="entity,player,human"/>

Find a friend to shoot in the legs repeatedly to make sure the fix works.

Wow, that's very counter-intuitive to the tooltip. But just another example of how the game isn't really meant to be balanced around PvP.  😅

Thank you very much once again, you've saved me from running around with a useless mod.  😃

31 minutes ago, HighImCody said:

But just another example of how the game isn't really meant to be balanced around PvP.

A glass-half-full take is that it hasn't been balanced and polished yet. I'm sure they'll give it a pass with an eye towards tightening up PvP. Maybe they'll even add some mods specific to that playstyle.

I agree that the Cripple 'Em mod should be fixed. The Hunter Mod I can see that some magic makes you better at killin' animals and maybe not so much people. Alright. But a mod which makes walking things stop walking so well probably ought to work against people. If I were playing PvP or on someone's server, I'd ask to have "player" added to the tag check on the mod. Probably safer than adding "walker" to the Player entity because who knows what else in the game targets walkers.

40 minutes ago, Boidster said:

You wouldn't happen to play PvP on a female character..? :)

4 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Probably safer than adding "walker" to the Player entity because who knows what else in the game targets walkers.

Hmm... "Turrets" comes to mind. For some reason.

43 minutes ago, Boidster said:

A glass-half-full take is that it hasn't been balanced and polished yet. I'm sure they'll give it a pass with an eye towards tightening up PvP. Maybe they'll even add some mods specific to that playstyle.

I agree that the Cripple 'Em mod should be fixed. The Hunter Mod I can see that some magic makes you better at killin' animals and maybe not so much people. Alright. But a mod which makes walking things stop walking so well probably ought to work against people. If I were playing PvP or on someone's server, I'd ask to have "player" added to the tag check on the mod. Probably safer than adding "walker" to the Player entity because who knows what else in the game targets walkers.

The tricky thing about that is visibility. Lets say that's already been done on every single PvP server out there-
I'm now going to refuse to use it because it shouldn't work on players (thanks to our convo here), even though it's "fixed" on all of the PvP servers. That's another reason it's difficult to find balance on PvP servers if all of the balance changes aren't clearly stated.  🙃

At least in the sense of developing a "meta". Obviously 1 mod isn't going to make or break anyone, but those small changes can add up to a disadvantaged character. With the severity of that disadvantage depending on the exact change, or number of changes that you're unaware of.

For that reason I tend to prefer Vanilla settings and Lightly modded servers for PvP. I know Vanilla, and it feels like a more "fair" playing ground.  😃

Just some 2-cents from a "casually-competitive" PvP player's perspective.  👍

Edit: Oh yeah, and I totally agree that they'll likely take another look at PvP balance some day. There's just zero point to balancing around PvP before you've solidified your PvE content.  💯

Edited by HighImCody (see edit history)