Random Gen POI Sizes

1 hour ago, tonytonyistony said:

Im trying to find information on how big or small POI's need to be to be placed into the random city generator. 

From what I heard on the streams they are classified into sizes and thats how they are selected during the random gen process.

Hi tonytonyistony

Sizes:

(Ground size of poi, poi itself should be 1 or 2 blocks smaller)

Extra Small _- 25x25 

Small: 42x42

Medium: 60x60

Large: 100 x 100

Rural can take bigger pois tho then large upto 150x150. 

Wilderness is any size.

You'll also find that not all Districts (downtown, commercial, industrial, residential, countrytown, countryresidential, rural, oldwest) have equal support for all of the standard sizes. Rural does appear to be the exception as sometimes RWG appears to not place a tile, but place a non-standard sized POI (upto 150x150) instead.

I made the following chart after counting the number of POI markers on all the vanilla Tiles. Don't get hung up on the red/green as that was my own analysis about opportunities for POI placement and potential areas of need for custom tiles.

So, for example, if you were to target the "downtown" district, which only appears in cities, then there is an abundance of potential landing spots for extra small 25x25 POIs (49), a modest amount of small 42x42 POIs (14), only 4 POI markers of medium size 60x60, and no large POIs 100x100. Not shown is that some POI markers are tagged for specific POIs, further reducing the number of spots for some POIs.

Of course, you don't know in advance which Tiles will be used by the RWG for any specific map, so you don't ultimately know the competition for any particular size of POI, but you can still conclude that 60x60 POIs are pretty rare in downtown districts and 100x100 POIs can never show up unless you make a custom Tile.

What this doesn't show you is the amount of competition for each size in each district in terms of numbers of vanilla POIs. I should probably run some stats there and be better informed, but anecdotally I'm finding there's a lack of competition in 60x60 rural POIs. I've got a few of those on the workbench and test worlds are placing 6-10 copies of each.

Of course, the picture changes once you're able to add in the CompoPack and other mods.

districts.png