World generation utilizes only one CPU core ( dedi)

uncle.heavy

As on previous root servers with Xeon CPUs 8k map generation on Linux ( Debian, Fedora) had been crashing upon generating towns in every single case for the dedicated server, I went on to test behaviour on a server with an AMD Epyc CPU.

On this setup, generation stops using all cores exactly when the Gamesparks Disconnected/Connected messages appear. From that point, just a single core is utilized by the dedi.

I had read that gamesparks does nothing (yet) on dedicated servers. Well, that is not the case. 😉

Maybe someone around here has any clue as to why this happens and how this issue could be dealt with?

We haven't been using the dedi to make maps since a18 because you can do it WAY faster on the client.

Whatever you read about Gamesparks on dedi's was wrong. It does the same thing it does on the client.

To deal with the issue, (and so you don't have to wait two hours to make a map because of no GPU usage in the dedi), make the map on the client and copy it to the dedi. This has been the thing to do since they moved map generation from the CPU to the GPU. They are well aware of the issue, and it is being worked on.

11 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

They are well aware of the issue, and it is being worked on.

Great to hear, well read, that it is regarded as an issue. 👍

I do not mind the creation time on a GPU-less server.

Much less than the hassle of copying the files around afterwards, anyway.