Implementing the SC - Desert Strike game mode into 7DTD

sour_biscuit

Greetings to all.

I am new to the community forum but here I am diving in with a question on this crazy idea.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Desert Strike arcade fan made map in StarCraft 1 but since I came back to it recently I was wondering if such a scenario can be set in 7dtd?

It is basically a map where you build buildings by which you spawn units on the battlefield and the goal is to defeat the enemy's building placed on the battlefield. 

I am also not sure if this game mode will be fun and enjoyable. 

Let me know what ya think!

Cheers!

@stample Oh but the whole point is to make it pvp man. It's pointless to have It pve imo. I just think it'd be fin to have such a mode within this game. There are plenty of items and objects to be built to allow a smooth progression in the game play. My whole idea is to have for example though - two towers, one for each player (or more if more players). Each player has a building area and starts expanding with his own strategy - spawning a bigger amount of zombies, spawning less zombies but upgrading their lvl, spawning special zombies - demolishers, screamers, birds, etc. I should also mention that there should be an auto mining system within certain objects - forge, workbench campfire, etc.. so that you can expand and build without having to mine material. Optionally, each can have resources and can mine if they want to add to their mining materials. 

This is really just a rough draft of what I have in mind. I know it's a lot of work and might not even be of any interest whatsoever. That's why I find it equally important for people to share if they would play this stuff?

Just spitballing here, and I’ve never played the game mentioned but it sounds like one of those games where two sides face off, sending armies to fight the enemy. I think it’s possible to spawn zeds in game (sort of, not like you can control it well) but you have to make a custom “spawner block”. And as far as I know it’s not customizable (in game) at all, so you’d have to code blocks for every spawn type you wanted. Maybe you made it an electrical block that required power, so the spawn rate was controlled by having power and how much electricity you could generate. 

I would assume that for something like this to work you would have a lot of restrictions:

- super small map (otherwise people could just run away. And because chunks don’t update when no one is near them so any ‘moving forces’ coming at you would simply freeze and despawn in the vacant chunk.

-for spawner  blocks (rthat you’d have to build) you would have to have some way for your “troops” to only attack the enemy and not you. Maybe when TFP adds factions it might work. Today I could imagine? Maybe using the not ready bandit class, and skin them with zed skins. Or just use bandits and let the zeds attack everyone as they wander in.

- for spawner blocks, you would need some way to control the spawning. I think I had a block once spawning rabbits, and a rabbit spawned every 10 seconds or something. The game currently cannot handle a lot of zeds so if spawn internet blocks were used (or still exist at all) you’d have to special code it so it spawned a bandit/zed and then stopped until that bandit/zed was dead. Or something to limit spawning.

there is a mod overhaul called “gnamod horde mode” that’s like a 1 “team” version of this. You have to protect a beacon that is attracting endless waves of zombies.  I would suggest looking into that mod and maybe it will provide ideas on how you can make your idea work, at least partially. Maybe just spawn in 2 beacons and each team gets one... if you could only find a way to have the zeds from one beacon only attack the other.

Archived