Block damage and passthrough question

4sheetzngeegles

TFP or anyone else that can answer this. This is a future thought.

The main question is in regard to passthrough damage, but extends to visual representation.

Presently doors have damage degradation models, but the collider seems to remain statically shaped
to a rectangle. Passthrough damage has been added using the armor piercing perk and ap ammo.

Is it possible to adjust the colliders for those models to give a rough outline of the hole
created in the door, to allow projectiles to penetrate there? Is there any major processing overhead?

The secondary question expands to blocks. For me "ingame" a door model or rectangular models in general
are just blocks with less thickness. I know the rules are different, regarding polys and voxels, but is
it possible to do the same degradation representation for the blocks?  But ingame the blocks seem to follow
Polygon rules as opposed to Voxel rules.

What I mean is, when terrain is damaged and destroyed, it uses a progressively distended texture overlay
and reduces in size. Presently block damage is represented by the Cracks sprite sheet until destroyed.
So visually the block is whole until it isn't.

The last time I saw blocks emulate voxel rules was in one of the A15s. They would become diamond shape.
The only problem was the final size sometimes could not be seen but would prevent laying another block until
it was destroyed completely.

The visual thought is to separate the block face into quadrants to represent visual damage and potential
passthrough damage using adjusted colliders. It would take a total of 21 models for a block, from the fractal
design i drew. 1 whole and 20 damage overlays.

Using the same SI rules that allow the blocks to attach now could be used to designate the front and rear face
that could be used for the damage cut out. Later if this works well then a single 1 meter block could be laid
or like the wall safes now.

Using the degradation method from above would show instant visual damage from the interior and exterior.

This is an example of what I am writing about. This is the representation of a single block, but could also be seen
as four connected building blocks. with the damage face rotated.

blocks.png.7785643246bda3d401e16e13ae0863e0.png

blocks.png

cool idea I though about someting like this too but I see a problem there. First it needs a lot of time and work to get that done properly. How should the block know in which direction the dmg should be shown. Imagine the dmg gets from up to down or left to right instead of front to back like you show with your examples :D

Also I bet that would kill too many computers that aren't high end

My thought that is really abstract is like this.  MM stated and I see his point,
to use what already exists in the game, and properties of the engine.

Directionally It would probably have to be introduced into the game in two stages.
This would be similar to the way Jason's Microsplat was introduced for terrain.

Stage 1: Presently and going with what Faatal did with SI for the stackable doors.
I watched Vedui's A19 video, and got the idea. The blocks can tell if they are connected
to other blocks or open air. They also have block placement coding of N S E W Top
Bottom.

The actual collider can be a rectangular cylinder, so if you hit it directionally it
would be similar to Shooting a zombie now. Y have a head collider, body arm leg.
No matter which side its hit from that collider records damage and generates the block
degradation on open front face 1 open rear face 2.

Initial test phase, it could be set to only happen to blocks that have at least 4 faces
enclosed by raytrace, or how the code recognizes it now. So projectile hits open face 1
or two, or inside outside. The X sight would point to the collider like (OnGetFocus) from a
mouse pointer.

The visual is just a more detailed downgrade rendering like the downgraded doors show now.
Its kind of an illusory projection. The outline of the damage shapes can just be opacity textures
or later expanded to poly meshes.

Go uncerground, use a mining light, and a weak tool, dig slowly and watch as the overlay textures
changes, there are multi textures overlayed like in a PSD file orientation and opacity changes
as terrain is destroyed giving the illusion of a single changine texture.

It acuality it would simply be the removal of the collider for the affected area allowing the
projectile to pass. So it can be a simple mesh collider or or compound. But in reality, its just
1 block, with multiple colliders to collect and project damage to that area. The cracks sprite sheet
or adding to one of the under utilized atlases can add the texture references.

Stage 2: if positive feedback can be the rubik's cube layout. Polys from what I read are supposed to be
less resource demanding than Voxel. It would be a Hybrid Voxel representation, using polygon rules and
structures.  

References used "PulldownIt" "Unity Amplify Impostors" "GpuInstancing"

blocks2.thumb.png.be95935d394ba03e3879e3a06c9c35a9.png

In the end, or Stage 2 its actually microblocks, encapsulated in a 1 meter block. For a total of 27 microblocks.

Each one has a single damage visual, when combined it gives a voxel style 3d representation of of a polygon shape

showing 3 dimensional destruction.

Archived