How to make mods able to download directly from the server?

MortyAnaxis

Hi Guys,

First of all, apologies if this is a silly question. I already have been looking around and could not find a solution for my problem.

A week ago I started a server with some friends using the Dedicated Server tool. I also included and edited some mods for Zombies, Items, Perks, etc. a total of 2,2 GB in Mods

The server is working fine and we are having a great time playing it.

But the problem is that everyone needs to download and install the mods BEFORE connecting to the server for first time.

I mean, if you connect to the server NOT downloading the mods before, it gives you a lot of errors and the game crashes.

In the past, I have connected to other public servers to play, and when I do that, the game downloads the world (if it is not a PREGEN) AND the mods.

But when somebody connects to my server, it only downloads the world, not the mods.

So, here is my question, there is any way to make these mods able to download along with the world?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards.

Try to start with one simple mod (only xml files). Is it working?

If yes, there probably is at least one more complex mod with parts that can't be sent from server to clients.

If no, check the games logfiles on the server, it should tell you it is loading the mods and if there are errors in there.

3 hours ago, MortyAnaxis said:

In the past, I have connected to other public servers to play, and when I do that, the game downloads the world (if it is not a PREGEN) AND the mods.

It depends on the mod! If it is only a xml-mod that changes the server settings the server mod will affect the clients.

If the mod requires assets, it won't. E.g adding new vehicles.

That behaviour is intenional, as downloading and executing code from a server will open big holes for any kind of exploits up to installing viruses/worms/trojans to clients. You don't know what the code is doing and are not even asked/warned about custom code is downloaded and executed.

E.g. client hud mods won't work.

2 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

It depends on the mod! If it is only a xml-mod that changes the server settings the server mod will affect the clients.

If the mod requires assets, it won't. E.g adding new vehicles.

That behaviour is intenional, as downloading and executing code from a server will open big holes for any kind of exploits up to installing viruses/worms/trojans to clients. You don't know what the code is doing and are not even asked/warned about custom code is downloaded and executed.

E.g. client hud mods won't work.

Partially correct. Done correctly there are a multitude of games that have and do use workshop or other methods to transfer maps, files, and other modifications. Why there could be potential, this has rarely if ever been an issue in all the years I have been gaming. This game would benefit from workshop Support significantly.

6 hours ago, BB_Drifter said:

Partially correct. Done correctly there are a multitude of games that have and do use workshop or other methods to transfer maps, files, and other modifications.

Totally correct. My answer wasn't ment as a general rule for all games, but it's a decision taken by TFP how THEY do handle it.

6 hours ago, BB_Drifter said:

Why there could be potential, this has rarely if ever been an issue in all the years I have been gaming. This game would benefit from workshop Support significantly.

Using the Steam Workshop outsources the "problem", because then it is steams responsibility to care what data is shared via their service. Then downloads don't happen from each server but from the workshop then, servers then redirect only to the workshop, what mods should be downloaded from there.

As I said, there clearly is the ability to control what is downloaded from a server and / or workshop to a local user. Some files such as an exe have never been able to be. Literally thousands and more likely millions of assets have been downloaded from servers without issue. That speaks to the rarity of corruption issues. Now if tfp chooses not to include the option it is certainly their choice but in my mind and that of many others there is little reason for it not to be included. The option to download or redirect for files needed joining a server simplifies a server hosts job to some degree. There are secure options and insecure options just the same as any other connection to the internet.

Archived