Lootable Vending Machines Modlet (A19.1)

GreatWhiteOwl

I've created a modlet to switch vending machines to loot containers for added realism. The premise being that nobody is going to run around restocking vending machines every day during a zombie apocalypse, and nobody is going to put coins in the machine when they can break it open instead.

The loot in the vending machine is the same type of items you would get if you were to purchase from it in a vanilla game - canned food, drinks, and candy.

Simply install the modlet (copy the folder from the zip to the Mods folder of the game) and restart the server/game. The modlet modifies the existing blocks so you do not need to generate a new map or do anything special other than the restart to pick up the changes.

I've tested this on A19.1 only, and I'm pretty sure it will not work on A18 or older versions. I think it should work fine on A19.0 but I haven't tested it.

Enjoy!

Lootable Vending Machines Mod.zip

I always like alternatives, but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic the way it is in vanilla game. There are traders all around the world who might be operating these vending machines. The idea was that you couldn't easily break them open either, because they would be protected with electric trap that's automatically activated when the machine is damaged. Sure, there are just a few traders in a relatively huge open world, but there are also other players and more NPCs coming to the game to fill the world. That should be enough to create an illusion that someone is actually still operating these machines. Not to mention, some of them are non-functional. Perhaps it would be cool if you could turn those non-functional ones into lootable ones, I would like that.

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

6 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

I always like alternatives, but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic the way it is in vanilla game. There are traders all around the world who might be operating these vending machines. The idea was that you couldn't easily break them open either, because they would be protected with electric trap that's automatically activated when the machine is damaged. Sure, there are just a few traders in a relatively huge open world, but there are also other players and more NPCs coming to the game to fill the world. That should be enough to create an illusion that someone is actually still operating these machines. Not to mention, some of them are non-functional. Perhaps it would be cool if you could turn those non-functional ones into lootable ones, I would like that.

I don't sign in or post alot, but this made me. 
I agree strongly with mr.devolver - The vending machines for me do not break realism, but I would love to see the damaged vending machines lootable! I'm sure there's some soda / snacks leftover inside those!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

@GreatWhiteOwl I tested your mod on A20 and it is not working. The vending machines are not acting as traders, but they are not lootable either. 

I tinker with xml somewhat, so I did take a look at it. I am just not familiar enough with it to know what to change. Any chance you might do an update?

Side note: I would love to see an option to have vending machines locked by default, but pickable via lockpicks.

7 hours ago, Red51 said:

@GreatWhiteOwl I tested your mod on A20 and it is not working. The vending machines are not acting as traders, but they are not lootable either. 

I tinker with xml somewhat, so I did take a look at it. I am just not familiar enough with it to know what to change. Any chance you might do an update?

Side note: I would love to see an option to have vending machines locked by default, but pickable via lockpicks.

OP was online in october 2020, I think it's pretty safe to say he won't see your message any time soon. I'm working on my own version of the mod, loot is based on this one because it wouldn't make sense to reinvent a wheel, but I might add my own stuff and the logic might be slightly different.

2 hours ago, Red51 said:

Hey mr.devolver, thanks for the heads up. I had not thought to look at his online activity.

I would certainly be happy to help test the mod and offer feedback when you have a functioning version.

Actually I do have a working version. I did a quick test, but then I made some small adjustment to it, so yeah, I could use some balance testing...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished creating a new version of this mod for A21 b317. I tested it a bit and it seems to work fine but I don't have time right now to do exhaustive testing. I haven't seen any errors when loading up the game world and the previously working vending machines are showing as "jammed" and lootable. Broken vending machines are still broken and do not contain loot (same as before with previous versions of this mod). Vending machines become their broken versions once all loot is removed to help give a visual clue that they have nothing left in them and allow you to wrench down the machines for parts.

You can find the mod on google drive

• 10 months later...